Why become a member? ×

Anyone know of any jazzy jam nights in Berkshire area?

molan

Not sure if this is the right forum but I thought I'd start off here and see how I get on :)

I know of a jazz guitarist who I'm told is very good (I know his partner).

He's been looking for either some other people to play with and/or maybe put a band together or just some good jam nights that are jazz focussed.

Apparently he's tried a few places but the quality has either been a bit poor or the focus has almost always ended up just playing 12 bar blues and he'd like something a bit more challenging.

Unfortunately I have no ability to play jazz whatsoever so I'm not much use to him!

I think he's based somewhere near Ascot / Windsor so I'd think there must be some people from here that might be able to help with some ideas?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1170884' date='Mar 21 2011, 04:47 PM']Contact these guys. Pat knows everyone and everyone knows Pat. His son, Dorian Kelly, is also over that way. All great players.

[url="http://www.pendulum-byjo.co.uk/education.htm"]http://www.pendulum-byjo.co.uk/education.htm[/url][/quote]

Brilliant, thanks Bilbo - I did think of contacting you first but thought this was a bit of a distance off your 'patch'.

Should have known you'd be 'connected' all over the country when it came to all things jazz :)

[quote name='molan' post='1170894' date='Mar 21 2011, 04:52 PM']Brilliant, thanks Bilbo - I did think of contacting you first but thought this was a bit of a distance off your 'patch'.

Should have known you'd be 'connected' all over the country when it came to all things jazz :)[/quote]

Used to live in Farnham and played in Dorian Kelly's band, with Pete Billington, Dave Horniblow and Simon Allen, all of whom played with Pendullum at the time. Also played a lot with trumpeter Paul Tungay (ex Ronnie Scott, Tom Jones and Bill McGriffe) who is also now with them and actually got to do a couple of rehearsal with them a few times (but no gigs. Pat prefers double bass and I only played electric at the time)

There also used to be a jazz jam at the South Hill Park Arts Centre in Bracknell. Jamie Cullem used to go there. It may no longer run..

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1171840' date='Mar 22 2011, 10:32 AM']Used to live in Farnham and played in Dorian Kelly's band, with Pete Billington, Dave Horniblow and Simon Allen, all of whom played with Pendullum at the time. Also played a lot with trumpeter Paul Tungay (ex Ronnie Scott, Tom Jones and Bill McGriffe) who is also now with them and actually got to do a couple of rehearsal with them a few times (but no gigs. Pat prefers double bass and I only played electric at the time)

There also used to be a jazz jam at the South Hill Park Arts Centre in Bracknell. Jamie Cullem used to go there. It may no longer run..[/quote]

One of my first freelance gigs was with Pat Kelly in the early sixties. His dad ran a removal business and I was picked up in a great pantechnicon (extra points for using this word on the forum?). We parked it in Reading's Broad Street - impossible today - and after the gig it had a flat batery so we had to push start the damn great thing down the street. Pat played in a band I was in that did a jazz competition and the judge was Benny Green. He said that we were trying to run before we could walk - probably correct but isn't that how most youngsters start? Many years later Pat fixed me a gig with his son and some of the pendulum heroes - probably the least enjoyable gig I've ever done, but hey ho.