Why become a member? ×

EA CXL 112

Randy_Marsh

Hi guys,

Like the title says I have an EA CXL 112. Great cab, but muggins here has managed to blow the driver...

I have emailed EA and they no longer make this cab, and only know of one place that will re-cone the driver for me... which is in Ohio :)

They said the easiest thing to do is buy the new Wizzy 12" driver and install that. It costs about £80 but then I'd have to ship it from the USA. Or just get another 12" driver and install that

Just wondering what you guys would do, as im a bit stuck really

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1164949' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:32 PM']Hi guys,

Like the title says I have an EA CXL 112. Great cab, but muggins here has managed to blow the driver...

I have emailed EA and they no longer make this cab, and only know of one place that will re-cone the driver for me... which is in Ohio :)

They said the easiest thing to do is buy the new Wizzy 12" driver and install that. It costs about £80 but then I'd have to ship it from the USA. Or just get another 12" driver and install that

Just wondering what you guys would do, as im a bit stuck really[/quote]
Well, when I blew the driver in my VL110, EA sold me a recone kit and I got someone local to fit it. Is that an option?

[quote name='pete.young' post='1164962' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:42 PM']Well, when I blew the driver in my VL110, EA sold me a recone kit and I got someone local to fit it. Is that an option?[/quote]

I've tried emailing them and havn't got any reply yet. It's definitely something I'd be considering. Just depends how how long they take to reply now and what it'd cost.

Edited by Randy_Marsh

I needed to have a driver replaced for a CXL 110 and just dealt with the UK retailer (it was Chris May/Overwater in Carlisle, but not sure if they are still EA dealers, or indeed amp retailers)
They seemed to have all of the spare parts needed to be able to repair any EA problems in the UK. Perhaps try a EA authorised dealer in the UK.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1165051' date='Mar 16 2011, 09:59 PM']I needed to have a driver replaced for a CXL 110 and just dealt with the UK retailer (it was Chris May/Overwater in Carlisle, but not sure if they are still EA dealers, or indeed amp retailers)
They seemed to have all of the spare parts needed to be able to repair any EA problems in the UK. Perhaps try a EA authorised dealer in the UK.[/quote]

I'd not thought of that actually. Seems like a darn good idea.

I'm pretty tempted to put it up for sale and see if someone else wants to try and sort it out :)

I bought a CXL110 which sustained driver damage in the post. The price quoted for the recone kit for that driver was $80 plus postage from the USA, then after that i'd have to pay to have the speaker reconed as it's a pro job.

Thread here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=112640&hl=ea+neo"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=ea+neo[/url]

As it was only insured for £50 (i'm a stupid tightarse, i know!) and i expected the eventual cost of repair to be about the price i paid for the cab in the first place i fitted a suitable neo driver in there instead.
Might be worth asking some of the more technically minded BCers for a suitable driver for the cab, i emailed EA to ask them what they thought of my choice and they confirmed it would be appropriate.

The drawbacks are that i lost the tweeter and i'll never know what it sounded like originally. The bonus is that it made the very heavy cab a true featherweight (those custom Eminence drivers make up the bulk of the weight btw) whilst still giving enough power handling for practices. Seriously, it's much less than a third of the weight now. Sounds great too!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1165108' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:49 PM']I bought a CXL110 which sustained driver damage in the post. The price quoted for the recone kit for that driver was $80 plus postage from the USA, then after that i'd have to pay to have the speaker reconed as it's a pro job.

Thread here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=112640&hl=ea+neo"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=ea+neo[/url]

As it was only insured for £50 (i'm a stupid tightarse, i know!) and i expected the eventual cost of repair to be about the price i paid for the cab in the first place i fitted a suitable neo driver in there instead.
Might be worth asking some of the more technically minded BCers for a suitable driver for the cab, i emailed EA to ask them what they thought of my choice and they confirmed it would be appropriate.

The drawbacks are that i lost the tweeter and i'll never know what it sounded like originally. The bonus is that it made the very heavy cab a true featherweight (those custom Eminence drivers make up the bulk of the weight btw) whilst still giving enough power handling for practices. Seriously, it's much less than a third of the weight now. Sounds great too![/quote]

Cheers for the link to that other thread Lemmywinks. When i've got some money I might buy a new driver for it, but for now I've decided to get some pictures and see if anyone fancies a go themselves and try it on the marketplace :) very sad times