Why become a member? ×

Shuker Singlecut 4 Headless

cocco

Almost can't believe Im doing this, Ive only had the bass just over a month and its a beauty! but I just cant get the aggression I want out of it.

[u][b]The spec [/b][/u]

34" scale
26 frets
5 piece laminated mahogany, white sycamore veneer neck
maple f/board
two way truss rod
carbon fibre reinforced neck
medium jumbo fretwire
2mm black side dots
satin lacqure on neck / fboard
mahogany body
burr imbuya part curve top
6 bolt recessed neck
polyester basecoat
wet look gloss topcoat
black hardware
individual ABM tuner bridges
20mm spacing at bridge
Delano JMVC split coil pickups
Shuker 3 band eq (vol, pan, treble, mid, bass. Internal circuit gain control)

neck width at the nut : 38.6mm
neck width at 12th fret : 57.4mm
neck width at 24th fret : 66.5mm

neck depth at first fret : 20.0mm
neck depth at 12th fret : 22.6mm

With the EQ flat the tone is big and warm as you'd expect from a mahogany body, The EQ is very versatile and the bass will produce almost any sound you want it to. Pan up to the bridge and the tone is full but keeps its punch and doesn't become wooly, pan to the bridge and its bitey and snarly. I found the sweet spot to be panned slightly back with slight bass and treble boost.

She's an absolute dream to play, as close to ergonomical perfection as I've ever found with a seriously low action and seriously low weight at 4.5 kg (roughly 1/3 the weight of your average ash bodied Jazz). 6 hour rehearsals are easy with her. The weight makes the fullness of the tone hard to believe, I can't even begin to fathom how such a feat was achieved, light weight and full tone without chambers.

I'm really only interested in trades (possibly with cash adjustment) but if I see a bass I like on here I'll put a for sale price up. Trade wise I'm thinking along the lines of EBMM Sterlings and Bongos, maybe even 'Rays but it would have to be the right one I have no use for more than 4 strings, I don't mind what the pickup config is. No real use for piezo though. Hit me up if you're interested, even if you have something else to offer as a trade. Worst I can say is no. :)

Advanced warning though, I may come to my senses and withdraw it.

edit - This bass will be at the Cardiff Bass Bash, test drives encouraged. I make great tea

Edited by cocco

[quote name='molan' post='1164441' date='Mar 16 2011, 02:34 PM']Have you spoken to Jon about the sound you'd like to get from it?

Maybe different pickups or pre-amp might help?[/quote]

+1
Jon will sort you out with something, just get some angry pickups in there!!

Si

Looks like this is traded for a Bongo HH.

I hear what you're saying guys but having played a bongo and come to terms with the looks I think it will be the best option for me. Its a shame to be giving the shuker up because the playability and tone are beautiful. But I've come to the conclusion I need EBMM in my life.

Look, im not out to hijack the link, but i have a similar problem with really well made bass MTD z5, with an aguilar pre and nordstrand pups. Cant get enough aggression out of it. Beautifully bassey and loadsa tonal variation and a gem to play, but it just cant cut through like my Aria sb900. Although it is fatter and bassier sounding.
I know you are familiar with Arias, does this sound like a similar situation?
With referance to Si-bob, would changing pups do the job, and which ones would do it?
BUMP for slight tangent, but really interested in your thoughts.