Why become a member? ×

ACG "Recurve" 6

giblett123

[quote name='Bass Awkward' post='1187722' date='Apr 4 2011, 01:21 PM']I really quite fancy this.

I'm going to hop down to my local emporium and see if I can stand the drop in spacing to 17mm (incidentally, what's the nut spacing - it's somewhat overlooked that nut spacing affects the spacing over the fingerboard too), and how well the non-radiused fingerboard works on a 6 (not that they'll have one in stock, but I'm reasonably confident it'll be fine - I seem to recall I played a flat fretless of a friend's).

Thereafter, all being well, I'll send you a PM, and see if I can come down South and meet you.[/quote]
Hi, I'm not sure about the nut spacing but if you mail Alan on: [email protected] and tell him it's the recurve 6 number 048 he'll be able to tell you, the flat board is a doddle to play, works really well with an asymmetric neck profile, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do price wise too.
Cheers
Chris.

[quote name='giblett123' post='1187795' date='Apr 4 2011, 02:27 PM']Hi, I'm not sure about the nut spacing but if you mail Alan on: [email protected] and tell him it's the recurve 6 number 048 he'll be able to tell you, the flat board is a doddle to play, works really well with an asymmetric neck profile, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do price wise too.
Cheers
Chris.[/quote]
Bump.

[quote name='richardrickenbacker' post='1190833' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:01 PM']DId you get this made or was it stock?[/quote]
It was a stock one that caught my eye, I've never had a six before and fancied a go, now I have and I've come to the conclusion that my chops cant really cope with it, too many strings! when it goes I'll get another ACG custom 4 to replace it, your more than welcome to drop in and have a play on it?

[quote name='giblett123' post='1191335' date='Apr 7 2011, 06:29 AM']It was a stock one that caught my eye, I've never had a six before and fancied a go, now I have and I've come to the conclusion that my chops cant really cope with it, too many strings! when it goes I'll get another ACG custom 4 to replace it, your more than welcome to drop in and have a play on it?[/quote]
Another £50 off, looking for a quick Sale as I have gas for another!

Edited by giblett123

Just to say:

I really wouldn't be put off by the flat board on this - indeed, anyone who may consider it a hindrance ought merely to think of classical/spanish guitar - which is a 6-stringed instrument that is usually a more natural switch for a bassist than an electric guitar (or even 6-string bass, often).

Further - the 17mm spacing at the bridge is wider than many 6-strings (and therefore closer to the normal 'jazz spacing'). Additionally, Alan, the luthier, has stated that the spacing at the nut is fanned to be wider at the bottom end - which will make playing over the fingerboard easier, and presumably deals with the great big fat B.

Moreover, having looked over ACG stuff through the last few days, I have to say that these are very clearly well made instruments with excellent parts and a really interesting pre-amp. You merely need observe that the fellow selling this is buying more of their stuff to see that it is clearly worth it.

The price for these things is criminally low - both for this second-hand instrument (with, I should add, a damn nice case, and from an experienced and trusted Basschat member) and for the orders from ACG.

Presently, I'm battling a compulsion to just jump for this bass, but being poor at adapting, and really used to jazz spacing, I may well pass it up.

I'd advise anyone so inclined to nip in and buy it whilst I hesitate.

[quote name='Bass Awkward' post='1191631' date='Apr 7 2011, 12:39 PM']Just to say:

I really wouldn't be put off by the flat board on this - indeed, anyone who may consider it a hindrance ought merely to think of classical/spanish guitar - which is a 6-stringed instrument that is usually a more natural switch for a bassist than an electric guitar (or even 6-string bass, often).

Further - the 17mm spacing at the bridge is wider than many 6-strings (and therefore closer to the normal 'jazz spacing'). Additionally, Alan, the luthier, has stated that the spacing at the nut is fanned to be wider at the bottom end - which will make playing over the fingerboard easier, and presumably deals with the great big fat B.

Moreover, having looked over ACG stuff through the last few days, I have to say that these are very clearly well made instruments with excellent parts and a really interesting pre-amp. You merely need observe that the fellow selling this is buying more of their stuff to see that it is clearly worth it.

The price for these things is criminally low - both for this second-hand instrument (with, I should add, a damn nice case, and from an experienced and trusted Basschat member) and for the orders from ACG.

Presently, I'm battling a compulsion to just jump for this bass, but being poor at adapting, and really used to jazz spacing, I may well pass it up.

I'd advise anyone so inclined to nip in and buy it whilst I hesitate.[/quote]
Cheers for the kind words guys, they are lovely basses and this is a lot of bass for the money (I think your normally looking around the £1500 mark for one of these new which is in itself "cheap"), I am taking a hit on this one but the one I fancy is also substantially reduced so I suppose I can justify dropping the price.

[quote name='giblett123' post='1192093' date='Apr 7 2011, 06:22 PM']Cheers for the kind words guys, they are lovely basses and this is a lot of bass for the money (I think your normally looking around the £1500 mark for one of these new which is in itself "cheap"), I am taking a hit on this one but the one I fancy is also substantially reduced so I suppose I can justify dropping the price.[/quote]
Still going! things are pretty slow at the mo so I may need to take a trade, ideally a 4 so if you have anything interesting feel free to ask.

[quote name='giblett123' post='1194345' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:12 AM']Still going! things are pretty slow at the mo so I may need to take a trade, ideally a 4 so if you have anything interesting feel free to ask.[/quote]
Another price drop so it is now a whopping £200 below what I was hoping for, I'm in danger of giving it away but will probably miss the bass I'm after! May have to hit the bay soon. :)

[quote name='giblett123' post='1196579' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:10 AM']Another price drop so it is now a whopping £200 below what I was hoping for, I'm in danger of giving it away but will probably miss the bass I'm after! May have to hit the bay soon. :)[/quote]
Another drop and I'm in real danger of giving it away! Come on guys someone must fancy a new, high quality, hand built 6?! if the price is way off the mark someone PM me! :)

I also fancy a ACG 4.
This 6 is very tempting, but 4 is hard enough for me.

Have a bump on me, so maybe it helps you getting the funds together for that beautiful Recurve.
So I won't be in temptation anymore.

[quote name='OmeDunk' post='1198629' date='Apr 13 2011, 08:10 PM']I also fancy a ACG 4.
This 6 is very tempting, but 4 is hard enough for me.

Have a bump on me, so maybe it helps you getting the funds together for that beautiful Recurve.
So I won't be in temptation anymore.[/quote]
Ohh go on, give in, temptation is a good thing! Cheers Alan, I think the price is ok, or probably way better than ok! it is a serious bass but isn't getting the playing as my "hobby horse" chops aren't up to a 6, it would need serious practise and time is too short, I had to try it though as its stunning, recurve 4 would be just the job though.....