Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'One of a Kind' .....

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1157697' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:36 AM']I quite like that... pity it's only 4 strings.[/quote]

???

Looks like a 5-string to me. :)

What I find odd is that, with such a bizarre and unusual design, the vendor doesn't think it necessary to provide much basic information.

What's the scale? What's the string spacing? How much does it weigh? How well does it balance on a strap? What's the pre-amp? (Presumably EMG, but he doesn't actually say so.) What do the controls do?

After all, would you pay £1250 for that in hopes that you might like it when it arrived?

I must be going blind... although the tiny photos don't really help!

For me a lot of the figures don't mean much on their own. I find that things like string spacing figures and weight only tell a very small part of the overall picture. A heavy bass that balances well on the strap is more comfortable to play then a light one that you have to fight with the hold in the right playing position. And string spacing is only a small part of the overall feel of the neck and TBH the only way I can tell is to play the instrument. I find that the neck profile takes more adjusting to then the string spacing.

Having said all that I don't really need any more basses and I certainly wouldn't pay that much for that particular bass, although I might have another look if it was under £1000 with postage and taxes. I've paid more in the past for instruments on the strength of a few photos on a web site.

Interesting - I actually find string spacing the second most important 'No' factor when choosing a bass (first is weight).

I won't choose to buy a bass because it is lightweight, but I will choose NOT to buy a bass because it is too heavy.

Similarly, I won't choose to buy a bass because it has 19mm string spacing, but I know for a fact that I struggle (live on stage, anyway) with anything less than 18mm.

Here's why string spacing at the bridge only tells a very small part of the story:

Out of interest, I've just measured all the 5-string basses I currently use and discovered that the one with the widest string spacing at the bridge has the narrowest at the nut! All my current in-use basses have different string spacing and taper. Because each feels comfortable to me I don't find it a problem.

A non-angled headstock and a heel that starts before the 19th fret are far more likely to make me stop considering a bass than string spacing.

[quote name='tomb' post='1158849' date='Mar 12 2011, 12:44 AM']ive seen uglier stuff[/quote]
didnt know they had made a Susan Boyle replica bass.......dunno about uglier,ive seen stuff thats obviously had a bit more time spent on the design,that looks like its been knocked up on a square of bog roll during someones 5 minute visit to the shithouse.just my opinion though :)

Edited by dougie