Why become a member? ×

swr sm500 has blown my tc electronic cabinet 2x10

owen3371

Hi all,ive recently bought a tc electronic 250w 2x10 speaker enclosure,im driving it with an swr sm 500 on bridge mode, i smelt a lot of smoke and the cab has stopped working,before i bought the cab i checked my swr manual and it is ok to run an 8ohm cab on its own,and also i was turned well down, i think ive blown up the speaker,although thankfully thr swr amp is perfect because i put it back on to my goliath 6x10 cab and everything sounds normal,what would have happened the tc cab?

Odd.. I find the SM amps amazingly tolerant...in that you can run a bridged connect on the stereo switch and all you get is a loss of volume..but it doesn't complain. The only indication is the volume.
So I have a lot of faith in these amps being very well built..particuarly true of the older models with component spec, IME.

I don't know the TC cab...but wouldn't really like to push any 2x10 hard with that amp, so I think this is a defect with the cab..

is it under warranty..?? because if it is, that would rule out the next thing I would do which is take the cab apart and see what the horn fuse has done.

I'd be tempted to plug the SWR back in using just a stereo channel at low volume and see what else you can get from the cab...ie sound..and be very quick to turn off if the smoke is comfirmed.

If the cab is out of warranty then I would have a good play around with connections, fuses and wiring etc etc on the speakers..one at a time or not..
or if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, talk to TC about your next step.
I would get your SWR serviced as well if you know a decent cheap amp tech.

IME, they are a most reliable head, even though you can fry eggs on them when running hard...

Ouch!

You normally get warning signs with modern bass cabs because their thermally limited power handling (exceed this and things melt/smoke/burn) tends to be higher than their excursion limited power handling (exceed this and things growl/distort/fart), especially once you figure in the crest factor. However if you're playing in a band that's loud enough that you can't hear the distortion or the thermal:excursion limited power handling ratio is low, or if your preferred bass sound is relatively distorted you may not hear the warning signs until it's too late.

You can still get full power from an amp with it turned down as the volume knob is only a gain knob. Put enough voltage into the front and you'll still get full power out.

As you also have a Goliath Sr my guess is that your band is pretty loud and you were expecting too much from a relatively low budget 2x10". Sorry! The upside is that the correct replacement drivers should be inexpensive.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1157788' date='Mar 11 2011, 10:50 AM']Ouch!

You normally get warning signs with modern bass cabs because their thermally limited power handling (exceed this and things melt/smoke/burn) tends to be higher than their excursion limited power handling (exceed this and things growl/distort/fart), especially once you figure in the crest factor. However if you're playing in a band that's loud enough that you can't hear the distortion or the thermal:excursion limited power handling ratio is low, or if your preferred bass sound is relatively distorted you may not hear the warning signs until it's too late.

You can still get full power from an amp with it turned down as the volume knob is only a gain knob. Put enough voltage into the front and you'll still get full power out.

As you also have a Goliath Sr my guess is that your band is pretty loud and you were expecting too much from a relatively low budget 2x10". Sorry! The upside is that the correct replacement drivers should be inexpensive.[/quote]

Would I be right in thinking the initial volume loss was the onset of power compression from the voice coil heating up, and corresponding impedance increase?