Why become a member? ×

Do I Do

wal4string

I have been wanting to take a look at this chart for sometime. Big thanks to Gareth a fellow Basschat member for the email.

Cleaned up the original scan, plus removed Tab, plus written tune up a half step to save having to tune down or read part up.

The original notation here is actually written as it sounds (down a half step) so to play correct you will need to play the notes up half a step ie. if a B is written then what you should play is a C etc.

Have included the Stevie Wonder track raised up a half step so you can play along. Tune makes more sense played this way (same as Nathan Watts plays) as open strings can be used for the fret board leaps.

:) I will not even try to explain fully, but if you ignore the tuning guide in the TAB, then the written TAB will work with the up half step
version I have posted, likewise if you play the song as written without re-tuning then you will be able to play along with the original recording but unless you have a 5 string then the bottom D#/Eb is out of range of a normal tuned 4 string.
So unless your inclined to tune your bass down a half step for just this song, then I suggest you download the up half step track and the up half step chart to play along.

So to conclude, if you learn and play the up half step chart and then decide to play with the drop tuning (down half step) then also play along to an original recording of the song in the correct key then the parts would be identical, so nothing to relearn, same note positions and same fingering (remember I raised the mp3 file by a half step).
Not sure if any of that makes sense but then again I am a bass player and not a teacher of music theory.

Perhaps someone else would care to explain clearer.

This is a great Transcription of the entire extended version. The single version was just re-arranged sections of this version, so it should be straightforward to cut and paste song.

If anyone is interested I can also post the Sibelius file, just let me know. Of course this is for educational purposes only.

Note: :) Found a few errors in the up half step file (Photoscore and original chart wrong), as of 11am 11/03/11 posted corrected part.

Enjoy

The Do I Do Final PDF is Joes better transcription with the Bass Player version added to the end to complete also the the slap section from Joes post. So far I have only found a couple of mistakes, in the slap section there is a bar rest missing and in the K section 5th bar there is an F written, this should be an Eb.

Edited by wal4string

[quote name='AndyBob09' post='1158478' date='Mar 11 2011, 07:13 PM']Nice! Funky! And nice!

Some man for getting all this together!

I'm busy until Sunday but I plan on getting my Nate Watts chops on all day Sunday.[/quote]

Thanks for the message.

P.S.I hope we are having onion gravy? :)

Quite a lot of mistakes in that transcription though, chords are wrong too.
Also, when transcribing for a de-tuned instrument, the notes/key should be written as played, not as sounded. i.e. the score should have been written in C so you could still read it on a transposed instrument. (If you de-tuned your bass and read the notes, your first note would be a Bb)

This version is much better (but incomplete and very raw/unpolished):

[attachment=74596:DO_I_DO.pdf]

Also they got the slap riff at the end wrong, here's a correct version:

[attachment=74597:DO_I_DO_Slap_Riff.png]

Edited by Joebass

[quote name='Joebass' post='1158898' date='Mar 12 2011, 03:20 AM']Quite a lot of mistakes in that transcription though, chords are wrong too.
Also, when transcribing for a de-tuned instrument, the notes/key should be written as played, not as sounded. i.e. the score should have been written in C so you could still read it on a transposed instrument. (If you de-tuned your bass and read the notes, your first note would be a Bb)

This version is much better (but incomplete and very raw/unpolished):

[attachment=74596:DO_I_DO.pdf]

Also they got the slap riff at the end wrong, here's a correct version:

[attachment=74597:DO_I_DO_Slap_Riff.png][/quote]

Cheers for the info Joe. Great version and yes does appear to be much better, makes more logic to play this way, and I can see what you mean by unpolished (why all those naturals when the notes havn't changed?) I will clean things up and lose the TAB and repost. Was not sure about the correct way of writing for a detuned instrument, but of course why make it difficult and write it in concert.
I watched an interview with Nathan Watts on utube talking a bit about the Bass Player Transcription how good it was and how he gave up after trying to play it after the second page as it was beyond his sight reading skills, I thought at the time honest, but, why the hell if a magazine is going to feature somebody why not get them to write the part out. Saw a similar interview with John Paul Jones and he also said he had never seen a correct transcription of his Zeppelin lines.

I can't imagine I am likely to ever play this in a live situation, so I will use both versions as sight reading practise and then one day I may be better than Nathan Watts (at sight reading I mean). :)

Here is the new cleaned up transcription. Now off to Cardiff to soak up the Rugby vibe with Ireland. Brains Dark here I come. :)

Edited by wal4string

[quote name='Joebass' post='1158898' date='Mar 12 2011, 03:20 AM']Quite a lot of mistakes in that transcription though, chords are wrong too.
[b]Also, when transcribing for a de-tuned instrument, the notes/key should be written as played, not as sounded. i.e. the score should have been written in C so you could still read it on a transposed instrument. (If you de-tuned your bass and read the notes, your first note would be a Bb[/b])[/quote]

When a bass guitar is in different tuning, it's still in concert pitch! You're merely changing the note that is produced with an open string, not what key the instrument is in.

Tabs, would change, for sure, but there would be no diffrence in the way a score was written surely?

EDIT: Have now read what you were referring to - essentially we were saying the same thing! Sorry...... :)

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='chaypup' post='1159054' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:29 AM']When a bass guitar is in different tuning, it's still in concert pitch! You're merely changing the note that is produced with an open string, not what key the instrument is in.

Tabs, would change, for sure, but there would be no diffrence in the way a score was written surely?

EDIT: Have now read what you were referring to - essentially we were saying the same thing! Sorry...... :)[/quote]

When you change the tuning of a bass it's not in concert pitch any more (e.g. when the player reads a C a B is sounded) so you have to compensate by changing the key of the written music.
Here's an example: [url="http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/se/ID_No/50205/Product.aspx"]get the funk out[/url]

[url="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqP76XWHQI0"]youtube[/url]

P.S. The excess naturals in do I do are from writing in B and auto transposing to C without proofing.

[quote name='Joebass' post='1159119' date='Mar 12 2011, 11:27 AM']When you change the tuning of a bass it's not in concert pitch any more (e.g. when the player reads a C a B is sounded) so you have to compensate by changing the key of the written music.
Here's an example: [url="http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/se/ID_No/50205/Product.aspx"]get the funk out[/url]

[url="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqP76XWHQI0"]youtube[/url]

P.S. The excess naturals in do I do are from writing in B and auto transposing to C without proofing.[/quote]

When you change the tuning, a C is still a C. It's just on, for example, the 2nd fret rather than the 3rd. I wouldn't call 3rd fret on the 2nd string a C when I've detuned. So the score would stay the same, but a tab would change.

[quote name='chaypup' post='1159187' date='Mar 12 2011, 12:14 PM']When you change the tuning, a C is still a C. It's just on, for example, the 2nd fret rather than the 3rd. I wouldn't call 3rd fret on the 2nd string a C when I've detuned. So the score would stay the same, but a tab would change.[/quote]

Sorry, but you're wrong there. It's exactly the same principle as woodwind instruments, i.e. so that the player doesn't have to sight transpose or learn new fingerings/positions.

Logically, if you describe a bass in standard tuning as being at concert pitch, then a bass tuned down a half step would be in Cb and the necessary transposition would need to be made to the score.

Edited by Joebass

[quote name='Joebass' post='1159231' date='Mar 12 2011, 12:56 PM']Sorry, but you're wrong there. It's exactly the same principle as woodwind instruments, i.e. so that the player doesn't have to sight transpose or learn new fingerings/positions.

Logically, if you describe a bass in standard tuning as being at concert pitch, then a bass tuned down a half step would be in Db and the necessary transposition would need to be made to the score.[/quote]

I see what you're saying and obviously when I write trumpet or sax parts etc the keys are transposed, but if, say, you drop the E string to a D, why does that change the key for the bass? All the other strings are in concert pitch and you may only visit the (lower) D string twice in the whole piece.

Changing the key for the piece would mean you're fine on one string but then have to learn new fingerings for the other 3 (or 4 or 5).

[quote name='chaypup' post='1159279' date='Mar 12 2011, 01:49 PM']I see what you're saying and obviously when I write trumpet or sax parts etc the keys are transposed, but if, say, you drop the E string to a D, why does that change the key for the bass? All the other strings are in concert pitch and you may only visit the (lower) D string twice in the whole piece.

Changing the key for the piece would mean you're fine on one string but then have to learn new fingerings for the other 3 (or 4 or 5).[/quote]

Yes but thats just a single string. If you dropped the entire bass down, then you need transposition.