Why become a member? ×

1959 Fender P Bass

tomb

ok, so this is not a ebay link but its to some auction in Portugal just putting it up here in case someone is interested

is an original 1959 Fender Precision Bass, or at least thats what the owner says, i have no idea about it, and its for sale for €3000

just letting you know in case someone is interested

[url="http://www.leiloes.net/fender-precision-bass-muito-raro-1959,name,169263091,auction_id,auction_details"]http://www.leiloes.net/fender-precision-ba...auction_details[/url]

I had a look at his other auctions, and it says "esta numa loja em lisboa onde se pode experimentar", which translates that it's in a shop in Lisboa where you can try it out. I think I know who this seller is, and if I'm correct, he's a crook and a half. I've caught him out on stuff a few times, and I used know a repairman who he'd pay to put Fender decals onto cheap Chinese guitars.

I had a very funny experience with him one time. I'd bought a Musicmaster bass from the UK, then ended up passing it onto a friend. It was from 1972, something like that, as confirmed by the serial number on the neckplate, and had been routed for a P pickup under the scratchplate, so it was easily identifiable. Anyway, moving on, the bass ends up in his store, only now, it's a 1960 L Series Musicmaster Bass (yep, that's right :) !!!). It's got the L Series neckplate and serial number, so it must be so. Only problem is that he hasn't done his homework, and while Musicmaster guitars existed in 1960, the basses didn't appear until 1970 (or thereabouts). His answer - it's a prototype, and therefore worth much more money!!!!! :lol: At this point I had to put him out of his misery and tell him that I used to own the bass, and that it was a 1970(ish) bass when I owned it, and that someone had simply swapped the neckplate. He says "impossible, I bought it from a trusted friend". So I say "take the scratchplate off - I bet it's routed for a P pickup". Sure enough, there it is. He goes all embarrassed, and delivers his greatest line ever.

"You can't trust anyone these days"!!!!!! :) I swear, I nearly pissed myself when he said that.