Why become a member? ×

squier 5 string

The Fly

I attended a local guitar show yesterday and picked up a nice looking Squier 5 string for a reasonable price

Its a Precision with two active jazz pickups.

The headstock decal has been replaced with a Fender logo but the rear of the headstock has a genuine logo saying designed by Fender.
It was made in Indonesia, it also has a squier neck fixing plate.

I have looked for some info on this but can only find info on Jazz active 5 strings!

Controls seem to be volume which is push/pull
Blend
master tone
then active for bass and treble

Apart from being very noisy when either pickup is selected on its own, it sounds ok.

What is the push pull for? Is there anyway to elliminate the noise.
Also it does seem to lack a little volume

If anyone has any info they can put my way I would be grateful.

Cheers

I don't know that bass (sounds interesting though), but... I suspect that push/pull on volume is a passive/active switch. You can test that by removing the battery: if the bass works in one position but not the other, that's what it's doing.
As for removing hum... they're single coils so always susceptible to hum when selected individually. You can however reduce some of it by properly shielding the bass. Have a look on www.guitarnuts.com for info on wiring/shielding.

I've had 2 of these basses and can only think that the active system has been added at a later date.The first one I had had 2x4-pole J-type pups which were less than useful for a 5-string,as you can imagine.The latest one I have now is far superior in terms of sound,'B' tension and playability.The bass is discontinued now,but I have never seen or heard of one that was 'active' from new.I'm presuming that The Fly didn't buy it new,due to the Logo change,but really,one of the first mods most people do on this bass is to change the pups,as the originals are rubbish.In my case I installed an Artec SE2A pre-amp as well,and it is now my main bass.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1152543' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:46 PM']Like this ? Im not sure that there was a Squier P with actives as standard,but i may be wrong.

[url="http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/squier_bass_precision_standard.html"]http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/squ...n_standard.html[/url][/quote]

That is pretty much it.
Two main differences though.
It is deffinately active. It has four controls with the bass/treble active control being where the input jack socket is on the picture.

The input jack on mine is on the underside