Why become a member? ×

1974 Dimarzio Jazz bass pickup set!

Shonks

not sure if this is the right forum for this thread so apologies in advance if it isn't.

as the title says, I have the vintage pickups salvaged from Dill Katz original 74 fretless jazz bass.

I dont want to sell them. I now got them installed on my bitza fretless - 84 jap jazz and defretted mightymite neck.

the vintage yellowing dimarzios sound as sweet as they look!
I know anything vintage is only worth what a buyer would pay, but love to hear your thoughts on what monetry value you'd stick on them.

dont want to take them out of the guitar for pix, so here's a brief description.

They each have two separate coils. the split is in the middle, with black tape round the copper.
two strips of magnet on each side of the center with poles adjustable with a hex key.
White epoxy on the middle and ends keeping them together and sealed.
Each coil has a pair of wires and are wired in seriesalthough I suppose they go parallel if required.
they're passive of course and have a pretty hi output compared to Fender's modern equivalent.
Oh yeah - and the original creamy white covers have gone very yellow with 37 - gasp - yes, 37 years of the genuine aging process taking its toll.

that's it - what're your thoughts??

thanks !

Edited by Shonks

What BB said - lovely pickups for a fretless, but still made and available..and I doubt many people would recognize Dill's name. I certainly remember his fantastic fretless sound (with Barbara Thompson), and would love to hear it again.

I wouldn't sell. I paid £60 -70 for a used set last year (and pretty certain I could have got some for less if I'd waited longer).

These are DiMarzio Model Js - they still make them and new they're about £100 a set. Sadly I don't think there's a vintage "premium" for old ones, they tend to go around the £50-£60 mark. Are you sure they're 1974? I thought the Model J & Model P lines appeared around '78/'79.

They are nice, punchy, warm-sounding pups, I have a set (one 70s with the PAF sticker, one more recent) in my CSL Jazz and they do sound sweet.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1154212' date='Mar 8 2011, 06:20 PM']These are DiMarzio Model Js - they still make them and new they're about £100 a set. Sadly I don't think there's a vintage "premium" for old ones, they tend to go around the £50-£60 mark. Are you sure they're 1974? I thought the Model J & Model P lines appeared around '78/'79.

They are nice, punchy, warm-sounding pups, I have a set (one 70s with the PAF sticker, one more recent) in my CSL Jazz and they do sound sweet.

Jon.[/quote]
cant be sure - someone will have to ask Dill

Edited by Shonks