Why become a member? ×

Confused....

Jayfaedoom

i am looking for a 2nd bass.

I play in one band that plays prog/ambient/metal/rocky stuff tuned to C and some stuff in Drop D so i am using my Warwick Streamer Stage 1, 4 string, for this band and i am very happy with the sound i can get from this bass

but........

my dilema is that i will also be playing in another band doing sludgy doom stuff in the wonderfull tuning of B

Should i just put bigger strings on my Warwick and use this bass for both bands, changing the tuning for each band, or should i get myself a cheaper bass for this band and keep it in B?

Also would i be better to go 5 string or just get a 4 and again put bigger gauge strings on? and any basses people would recommend for this sorta doomy sludge band?

I know a fair few questions there but i am stuck and need advice

cheers

I'd say definitely go for a 5-string - it opens up a lot more options such as tuning your B up to C or your E down to D... the guitarist in my band plays mainly in dropped D but I play my 5-string in standard - of course, if you don't really use your G string you can just string your current bass with a low B! If playing up one fret when you're supposed to be tuned in C is far too much of a nuisance, you could get a 5-string for tuning to dropped D and take both basses to rehearsals with the first band and the 5-string in standard for the new band? Hell, get a 6-string! What do you have to lose?
Sorry for all the conflicting advice there!!!

[quote name='BassDad' post='131510' date='Jan 31 2008, 07:57 PM']In my ignorance is "doomy sludge" a new genre I've missed out on or are you just completly underwhelmed by the whole idea? If it's the latter why bother? If it's the former name a few bands and I'll have a listen.[/quote]

i am basically meaning bands along the lines of Charger, Eye Hate God, Iron Monkey, Sourvein, Crowbar etc.. etc..

[quote name='Jayfaedoom' post='131517' date='Jan 31 2008, 08:08 PM']i am basically meaning bands along the lines of Charger, Eye Hate God, Iron Monkey, Sourvein, Crowbar etc.. etc..[/quote]

Right just checked out Eyehategod ;) is that a long haired Rab C Nesbitt on lead guitar then. :)

Not my cup of tea but it looks like you'll be needing a fiver tho!.

Enjoy :huh:

Hmmm a bit like Bolt Thrower, What guage strings are you using at the mo. I have found myself in the same dilema, and still can't work out what to do. One band tunes to D and the other to E so I find myself tuning up and down all the time. So I would suggest a 5 as it solves both problems.

My band play tuned to C
i use my 6 and tune the low B to A then i can use it for playing things an octave lower than the lines i would play on the G (which was an A so the second lowest string on a four string)

And yes i do use open A in our set.

Get a five it will really help you out.

[quote name='markytbass' post='131595' date='Jan 31 2008, 10:20 PM']Hmmm a bit like Bolt Thrower, What guage strings are you using at the mo. I have found myself in the same dilema, and still can't work out what to do. One band tunes to D and the other to E so I find myself tuning up and down all the time. So I would suggest a 5 as it solves both problems.[/quote]

I bought a set of 5 string bass strings in a gauge of 45-130. Not using the 45. But i have taken them back on my bass and i am running normal gauge 4 string at the mo due to other band being more clean etc..

[quote name='The Burpster' post='131739' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:33 AM']"etc.. any ideas on a good budget 5 stringer?"

we have to be rude and ask what the budget is? Budget to you may mean something different to others.... :)[/quote]

I am prob on a bugdet of less than £300 maybe even less than £250. I am not sure if there is good cheap stuff out there. So any ideas?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='131771' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:13 AM']Iron Monkey were one of the greatest bands ever.[/quote]
word there maybe reforming, and to the original poster be a man and get a warwick vampyre the one thats tuned f# b e a