Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Amp head?

Freddiel75

Hi to my fellow basschatters, some guidance please

I have recently purchased 2 2x10 epifani ps 210's cabs and now am looking for a new amp.

My cabs kick out 400watts at 8 ohms or 800watts (4ohms) when coupled together so I am looking for something which can be used in both live situations.

My max budget is £550 (and not a penny more!) and I have rounded down to the following:

Hartke LH1000
MArkbass Little Mark 3
TC Electronic classic 450

Not bothered about weight difference or size but would like to know what would be the better choice in my situation. I know the Hartke is gonna have the most headroom but I have also read that the MArkbass and TC classic are loud little beasts.

I think the main thing is that it has to be versatile to cover all types of playing styles although I play mainly funk.

If I have missed anything else of the list for this price braket then please let me know.

Many thanks in advance
Freddie

Hartke amps are brilliant, nice tone, very loud. But I personally would go for Markbass every time. You can't get much clearer in tone, and they're loud as hell! I use an F1 through a single 8 ohm cab in a very loud metal band, and I never have trouble being heard with Gain at 1 o'clock and volume at about 11 o'clock. And the added bonus of size weight and portability is hard to argue with. They aren't particularly cheap but for what you get for your money they're amazing value A lot of people tend to do the Markbass/Epifani combination. I've not used TC Electronic stuff yet so I can't say.

The TC Classic 450 has a very versatile eq set-up, plus a very good compressor on it. Power wise, it has plenty of head-room. I had mine through an Ampeg SVT 410 & 210 at a pub gig, and volume was on 4. We were (band not together any more) a punk band - Clash/Pistols etc - and Ampeg cabs, whilst great sounding (the best imv), aren`t the loudest of cabs, so you can get an idea of how the Classic performs here. Eq was virtually set flat too.

But its not all about punk/rock. Like I said, that compressor, and the tubetone give both great snappy punchy sounds, or the real dirty tube sounds. I was actually playing slap earlier through it - unheard of for me. I`m very pleased with mine, and the portability is great as well.

You can get a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 for just a smidge under £550.

I use the Shuttle 12.0 and it is one of the finest amps I've played through. I know there is a vast difference in specs but I am sure the 3.0 would still be a fine amp to use.

Other than that, Mark Bass every day of the week.

I'm not a fan of the 'core' TC amp tone for funk, to my ears there's a low mid emphasis which suits heavier rock/punk stuff and it lacks funky bark. But it's probably sortable with the EQ, I've not played with one properly to test just heard others.

Markbass though, fat and funky right out of the box! So I'd get that, or the super-clear Hartke if you can be bothered with all that weight.