Why become a member? ×

Free Lessons

tomb

hi guys, as you know im starting off and to improve i searched the internet for lessons, free ones mostly.

i came across a few but some say the exact opposite of others, specially on the way to attack the strings so i was wondering what are the best free lessons for bass if there is a thing as a good free bass lesson

thanks

[quote name='tomb' post='1146616' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:10 AM']hi guys, as you know im starting off and to improve i searched the internet for lessons, free ones mostly.

i came across a few but some say the exact opposite of others, specially on the way to attack the strings so i was wondering what are the best free lessons for bass if there is a thing as a good free bass lesson

thanks[/quote]

There's two ways to look at that... there's lots of different techniques for playing the bass and all are equally valid. But... some are more valid than others and it's important to get a good grounding in basic technique / theory / ear training.

If you are starting out a real teacher... even infrequently... will make a huge difference.

I agree with the real teacher.

I have just started having lessons (twice a month).

I bought books, DVD's and used on line free lessons but really needed the interaction of a teacher showing me what to do.

I still use the free stuff and books using the teachers advice as the basis.

Good luck!

[quote name='tomb' post='1147755' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:50 PM']cant afford a real teacher, i dont have any income :\[/quote]

It's The Major for you then :) You'll have to learn to read though. It will do you good.

Can you run to a second hand copy of "Bass Guitar for Dummies"? It still has it's faults - particularly in not reminding you that to get from one end to the other will take LOTS of hours of practice - but it does at least (mostly) explain stuff properly which is a good start.

[quote name='tomb' post='1147847' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:06 PM']searched for it in local stores and didnt find it, might try 2nd hand on ebay or something, no idea on the price of it[/quote]

On Amazon (UK) it's £10.19
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Basics-Dummies-Patrick-Pfeiffer/dp/0470539615/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299107663&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Basics-Dumm...7663&sr=8-1[/url]

Don't know if you get that in Portugal?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1147762' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:56 PM']It's The Major for you then :) You'll have to learn to read though. It will do you good.

Can you run to a second hand copy of "Bass Guitar for Dummies"? It still has it's faults - particularly in not reminding you that to get from one end to the other will take LOTS of hours of practice - but it does at least (mostly) explain stuff properly which is a good start.[/quote]
There are all shades of opinion on Basschat. I bought that book and thought it was completely useless. I agree about the Major's lessons though. World class. And free.

[quote name='chugster' post='1152466' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:38 PM']Am I missing something because I had a look at the Major's lessons and couldn't see where the lessons were for beginners?[/quote]

I don't think they are aimed at "hand holding" beginners but look down the list for the ones called "Getting Started". They aim at getting you going reading music which is quite a specific skill but the playing (and listening) effort that goes along with that will do anybody LOTS of good. You may need to read around some of the points and terms in the descriptions if you don't understand them.

I've been playing music of some sort (badly) since I was very young so I might not be best placed to comment.

[quote name='chugster' post='1152466' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:38 PM']Am I missing something because I had a look at the Major's lessons and couldn't see where the lessons were for beginners?[/quote]
I have to admit that my Boot Camp Sessions have not been designed as a progressive set of lessons. They tend to dip in and out of various points of interest, and at various skill levels. After all, basschatters come in many different shades of skill level and I wanted to produce something of interest for everyone.

However, if you go to the "Getting Started with Music Reading" sessions, these do start with simple stuff and gradually move into more advanced playing. But even these sessions are not really designed for the complete beginner. They tend to assume you have some basic technical skill and a desire to learn bass properly ie comprehensively, including reading, harmonic understanding (chords), improvisation, and rhythm skills.

I'm a firm believer in the need for a proper teacher, specially in the early stages. Even if you only have a few lessons with someone who really knows what he / she is doing, you will make much faster progress. And you will not get into bad habits that can be so tricky to put right later on.

Also, a good teacher will enthuse you, inspire you and also "crack the whip". Knowing that you have to perform a particular exercise or piece to your teacher at your next lesson will drive you on to perfect it.

The Major

ps Sorry I've been away from basschat for some months - some domestic issues have been taking up my time !

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1152470' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:43 PM']You may need to read around some of the points and terms in the descriptions if you don't understand them.[/quote]
I'm only too happy to take questions regarding the text in my Boot Camp Sessions. And I'm sure many other basschatters will join the discussion !

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='1152895' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:01 PM']I have to admit that my Boot Camp Sessions have not been designed as a progressive set of lessons. They tend to dip in and out of various points of interest, and at various skill levels. After all, basschatters come in many different shades of skill level and I wanted to produce something of interest for everyone.

However, if you go to the "Getting Started with Music Reading" sessions, these do start with simple stuff and gradually move into more advanced playing. But even these sessions are not really designed for the complete beginner. They tend to assume you have some basic technical skill and a desire to learn bass properly ie comprehensively, including reading, harmonic understanding (chords), improvisation, and rhythm skills.

I'm a firm believer in the need for a proper teacher, specially in the early stages. Even if you only have a few lessons with someone who really knows what he / she is doing, you will make much faster progress. And you will not get into bad habits that can be so tricky to put right later on.

Also, a good teacher will enthuse you, inspire you and also "crack the whip". Knowing that you have to perform a particular exercise or piece to your teacher at your next lesson will drive you on to perfect it.

The Major

ps Sorry I've been away from basschat for some months - some domestic issues have been taking up my time ![/quote]

As always, still loving your lessons Peter. I don't know how i got by without reading before them. Hope all is well at home!

Jake

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1153178' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:17 PM']As always, still loving your lessons Peter. I don't know how i got by without reading before them. Hope all is well at home!

Jake[/quote]
Hi Jake - how's it going at the RNCM ? Are you still enjoying the course ?

My attitude to bass palying has allways been learning songs from tab, when I have played in a band a few times it is all covers and if I ever mess around with my mates the guitarist just tells me what notes I can use and I play around with them, embarassing I know. But I have got to the point where I want to be able to improvise and have a better general knowledge than jstu being able to play thigns from tabs. I have looked at online lessons but most of them seem to be memorize this scale, and then this scale and this chord and this chord and so on. Which I know is important but I want something that explains the real basics; what is a scale techincally, how do you work out a chord from a scale and so on. I know it is good to be able to read sheet music but I'm busy doing a degree at the moment and it sounds like a large undertaking. So can anyone either explain or point me to lessons that explain the real basics behind theory that dosn't involve sheet music. I fuilly intend to learn sheet music one day but i literally dont ahve the time right now.

So I want to find things that will teach me what is required to just jam with my friends easier and to understand the theory behind the theory if that makes sense?

If I am derailing this thread in any way, please tell me, I will start another thread.

If anyone dosn't know what I'm getting at then I'll try to explain better.

[quote name='hellothere' post='1154346' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:36 PM']I know it is good to be able to read sheet music but I'm busy doing a degree at the moment and it sounds like a large undertaking. So can anyone either explain or point me to lessons that explain the real basics behind theory that dosn't involve sheet music. I fuilly intend to learn sheet music one day but i literally dont ahve the time right now.

So I want to find things that will teach me what is required to just jam with my friends easier and to understand the theory behind the theory if that makes sense?[/quote]

If you want to know the theory it will be so much easier if you learn to read at the same time. It'll will make things easier to explain and easier to understand the relationships of the notes. It won't require any extra time as you will be learning both together as one.

It's so much easier to understand theory if you can read. The two things go hand in hand. Yes, you can learn to read music without ever understanding the theory, and vice versa. But, certainly from a teacher's perspective, it so much easier to explain theory in all it's aspects if you can point to the written note.

I know from my own work in music education (and in the playing profession) that many musicians "get by" without ever learning to read. And some of them are truly great players. I was playing with one last week - the sax man Gilad Atzmon - an outstanding jazz talent. But, by his own admission, he doesn't read and can therefore only work as a solo artist. He could never play in a big band, or do TV or film sessions, or play orchestral sax, or work with any kind of reading band, or theatre band .....

So just think how many more opportunities in the wonderful world of music will open up to you if you CAN read AND have a good grasp on theory, harmony,rhythmic understanding, improvisation etc etc

But then maybe you are perfectly happy in a small musical clique that has limited scope ..... and a limited future ......

But that's fine too - as long as you enjoy playing music, that's all that really matters.

By the way, reading music is not hard. It just takes patience and a practice. And getting a good teacher will help .....

The Major

Well I can see where you are coming from, I really can, and I DO plan on learning to read one day but I feel that it is more than I am willing to take on at the moment, whether that is a just a mental block I don't know lol. But I am moving into a new place soon, with my girlfriend, the first time I've moved in with someon I'm in a relationship, I am starting full-time work soon and I am doing an open universtity History degree.

I think learning the basics of theory and so on will ease me into it and make it a bit easier to digest when I do begin to learn music, which I plan to do once I complete my degree. Also I am only playing in "garage" bands with friends so learning to read sheet music isn't my priority but the theory that will further my playing is. :)

[quote name='hellothere' post='1154447' date='Mar 8 2011, 08:36 PM']Well I can see where you are coming from, I really can, and I DO plan on learning to read one day but I feel that it is more than I am willing to take on at the moment, whether that is a just a mental block I don't know lol.[/quote]

I think you've decided that you don't really want to learn to read yet. That's fair enough,but it really won't take up any extra time
as just learning the theory,because they are both together.
Like the Major said,it's so much easier to do the two because it allows you to identify the written note.
Although the reading isn't a priority right now,it will allow you more access to the theoretical material that is :)

Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1154829' date='Mar 9 2011, 02:10 AM']Oh right. I just wondered,because I've been spending a bit of time in Matlock.[/quote]

Ah no, that's not very close to me. I've been there a few times though. Last time was a job interview, which I didn't get :)

So is it really learn to read music or forget about theory?

Edited by hellothere

[quote name='hellothere' post='1154835' date='Mar 9 2011, 02:43 AM']Ah no, that's not very close to me. I've been there a few times though. Last time was a job interview, which I didn't get :)

So is it really learn to read music or forget about theory?[/quote]

It's not a case of one or the other-both reading and theory work together,and make each other easier. Do both at the same time.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1155056' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:01 AM']It's not a case of one or the other-both reading and theory work together,and make each other easier. Do both at the same time.[/quote]
Doddy is spot on. One feeds in to the other.

But you need to realise that the Theory of music is a huge subject which takes years to get to grips with (and few people ever get to know it all). You could just sit down with a pile of theory books and plough through them. But you are unlikely to understand any of it without some practical application.

Learning to read while you learn to play will also help you develop some understanding of how notes work together, how we organise notes and rhythms to create music for people to enjoy. So your perception of Western Music Theory will grow along the way.

By the way, musicians NEVER stop learning. Its a lifelong study - that's the beauty of it - there's always some area of music you have yet to fully understand. I've been a pro for 40 years and I still learn something everyday !

The Major