Why become a member? ×

Jamerson (bass players) Fan Club ?

kiat

Last year got back into playing the bass (I was never that good - reminder: join the Mediocre Bass Club) and "discovered" Jamerson. Incredible realization having listened to Darling Dear and other tunes, bought the SITSOM book, learned a few lines. Trickiest ones yet for me were the two "Ain't"s. Thing is, I love Jamerson's playing, history, the whole deal. Basically I'm a sold up fan and for the first time in my life willing to join a Fan Club, if it's all about Jamerson. So a few things it would be great to know.

* is there a specific Jamerson fan club?
seriously, I'm not kidding! one that talks, learns tunes, resolves fingering, shares stories, even meets up

* if so, does it ever physically meet up with basses to share lines and chat?
I wanna meet other bass players who enjoy playing Jamerson lines or inspired by him

* if not to both the above, does anyone else want to join such a club and make it whatever we make it?
(if so, maybe ask for a number in the same way the Mediocre BC does...I'm new to this forum and others like it, so please excuse the newbie feel to this)

Very cool forum by the way, have learnt a lot so far and it's inspiring me to play and learn more.

[quote name='lojo' post='1144638' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:52 PM']Yep, plenty of fans all ready here[/quote]

Yep, I've noticed :)

But does anyone meet up with basses to play/discuss/chill specifically about Jamerson? If not already, are there any folks that want to if there was such a thing?

[quote name='kiat' post='1144989' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:04 PM']Yep, I've noticed :)

But does anyone meet up with basses to play/discuss/chill specifically about Jamerson? If not already, are there any folks that want to if there was such a thing?[/quote]

Not that I know off, but no harm in you trying to arrange a get together if you can find anyone local who is interested

[quote name='jimbaby' post='1145501' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:40 AM']Hi
I was listening to "I was made to love her", by Stevie Wonder on Spotify and was staggered how good the bass was.
Would this be JJ playing, certainly sounds fantastic any way.
Regards
Jim[/quote]
It's Jamerson - although there has been some dispute that it was Carol Kaye but let's not get into that. It's Jamerson.

[quote name='lojo' post='1145495' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:36 AM']Not that I know off, but no harm in you trying to arrange a get together if you can find anyone local who is interested[/quote]

I'll give it a go and see who's interested. Perhaps on his birthday next year in London somewhere...

[quote name='risingson' post='1145605' date='Mar 1 2011, 12:15 PM']Have been listening to The Detroit Spinner's 'It's a Shame' recent. It's a hell of a bass line from Jamerson and a complete bastard to get right![/quote]

Not tried that one yet, the SITSOM book has roughly the first half of the transcription and listening now to the record (thanks youtube!) the second half sounds more complicated - good luck! I've learnt Jamerson's lines on "Ain't nothing but the real thing" and "Ain't no mountain high enough" both by Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell, but there's no place to fully relax as the lines are relatively busy and changing all the time. Am working up to the classics: e.g. I Was Made to Love Her, Darling Dear, What's Going On, Bernadette, Home Cookin' - one day I'll get them. My aim is to play everything in the SITSOM book well enough to play it right through. Purely a personal homage to Jamerson.