Why become a member? ×

Low tension flatwounds, cheap as possible!!!

lemmywinks

As above, are there any reasonably priced, low tension flats?

It's for a bass from a certain charity shop so under £20 would be good, also low as possible tension would be beneficial.
So far i've only found the Fender flats and tapewounds which i'm a little dubious of, having found Fender strings a bit lacking.

Are the Elites flats any good? I've used their rounds for years and always loved them.

There seems to be loads of cheap roundwound alternatives but no flats, i suppose they last ages and i should just but some TIs but thought i'd ask first. Alternatively has anyone got some used ones they'd like to sell me? :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1141783' date='Feb 25 2011, 09:09 PM']Yeah i'm a bit wary of putting higher tension strings on it because someone had a dodgy neck, not that i like power cables on any of my basses!

That's why i thought a used set of TIs would be good. What are the Status ones like?[/quote]

I usually use 49-109 La Bellas or 50-105 Chromes, guess quite heavy. Put a spare set of similar high tension 50-110 Webstrings flats on the Ryder bass, set it up, played nicely. Went off for an hour to do something, came back to find the neck going like a banana, detuned itself to Eb! :)
TBH I have no idea what Status flats are like, other than fairly positive comments on here, but they're relatively cheap, understand not mega high tension & reckon the bass will (just) manage with a set of 45-105s. I've got TIs on another bass & they're good for that, but (for me) need a bit more tension on a P-Bass. So I'm hoping the Status flats will be a good compromise on the Ryder bass.