Why become a member? ×

Trading Fafner and 4x10 for something smaller

Lifer

Love my Fafner and EBS 410 setup but not gigging much at the moment and not loving having to lug it around all the time. Thinking of getting a Sansamp bassdriver and some sort of combo/monitor or poweramp/small cab just wondering what people think of this option/what else there is out there?

Like a bit of grind in my tone, play Stoner Rock (detuned to C). Impressed by some Markbass rigs I've seen out there - hit me up with suggestions.

Money is a problem, would hope to sell the Fafner and 410 for £800-£900 and have a couple of hundred left over after buying the new rig.

Thanks in advance!

There's an [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Community/my-very-novel-bass-rig/"]interesting article[/url] by Fred Cockfield about this kind of rig. He's talking about Behringer kit, but you can extrapolate what he's saying to SansAmp - the BDI21 is at least SansAmp-inspired, as its name suggests, after all. Seems to work for him...

[quote name='Lifer' post='1139721' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:10 AM']That interests me greatly, but been looking at the Orange Terror Bass as well! Need to have a play I think[/quote]

They're doing a 2X10 Combo with a 300W version of the Terror Bass built in.
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amps/pid20116/cid561/orange-terror-bass-tb300c-2x10-bass-combo.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amp...-bass-combo.asp[/url]
Might fit the bill nicely, will certainly give you the grindy tone you're after, however it has been called a bit of a one trick pony, so best to give one a shot first.

Also, you can probably pick up a MarkBass LittleMark and an Aguilar GS112 or DB112 within your budget, probably have to go secondhand though, unless you go for the LittleMark250.

Cheers,
Eude

Playing stoner rock myself I wouldn't like to be without my Fafner! Mind you I've never had to carry about the 4x10 Proline cabs, which are a beast!

Going the Sansamp route is fairly easy though, you can put them through just about anything and get 'that' tone.

I would suggest though that if you are playing with loud guitarist(s) and drummer, I'm not sure one of the 'ultra' lightweight small cabs (say a 1x12) would really manage to do the job without you feeling that you have lost something from your current set up. I would think that you are still looking at a good 1x15 or 2x10. Going the PA cab route would be a lot of fun.

In terms of lightweight amps I don't think you can too far wrong with the Orange amps or Markbass. I would start with the Orange though as it has a gritty sound almost build into them.

TC Electronic amps are also lightweight, and versatile. Their BC cabs are quite light as well - 60lbs for a 4x10. Apparently a "modern" sound.

Re cabs - I`ve just bought an Eden Nemesis 410 - 52lbs. £389. Nice. They do 2x10, 1x15 & 2x12 as well. Not used it live yet, but at home, the sound is very good, and similar to my Ampegs, which is what I was after.

Epifani have also introduced their Epifunky range, which are similarly priced to the Eden Nemesis range.

Orange Terror is a great amp - fairly limited on eq, but it is great at what it does, and as stated, pair it with a Sansamp, the two together are great.

[quote name='eude' post='1139793' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:54 AM']They're doing a 2X10 Combo with a 300W version of the Terror Bass built in.
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amps/pid20116/cid561/orange-terror-bass-tb300c-2x10-bass-combo.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amp...-bass-combo.asp[/url]
Might fit the bill nicely, will certainly give you the grindy tone you're after, however it has been called a bit of a one trick pony, so best to give one a shot first.

Also, you can probably pick up a MarkBass LittleMark and an Aguilar GS112 or DB112 within your budget, probably have to go secondhand though, unless you go for the LittleMark250.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

That looks like it could be a great studio alternative to a huge ampeg rig...

[quote name='Lifer' post='1139742' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:28 AM']Would the Mackie TH-15As be equivalent to that Behringer cabinet? Don't know much about PA stuff[/quote]

Very similar - both 1x15 + horn, bi-amped. Only difference I can see is the Behringer has 2 x Class D amps, and the Mackie a Class D LF amp and an A/B treble amp. Less power, too. The Mackie's quoted at 400W peak, 200W (150W + 50W) RMS; the Behringer's 550W peak, 345W (280W + 65W) RMS. Behringer's max 126dB SPL @ 1m, Mackie's 116dB @ 1m.

Dunno about prices - depends where you go I imagine. Under £300 a pop, anyway - both seem to be selling for around £250-£270 each on discount at places like Studiospares and Andertons.

I've used a BDI21 for a couple of years through PA systems with similar enclosures, and I have to say the result's very convincing...

[quote name='Lifer' post='1141042' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:08 PM']Think I'm gonna take my bass down to GAK and try the sansamp through a few active speakers, they've got the behringer cab mentioned in the article you posted but also a few other brands.[/quote]

"Just listen.." :)

Let us know how it goes, won't you?

So tried it out on Sunday at band practise - Bass Driver straight into a Mackie SRM-450

First impression was great, big sound and compared favourably to the Fafner at low levels. However I found the lack of adjustment (or perhaps my lack of experience with them) on the BD started to become a problem when trying to get the sound dialled in with the full band. Definitely needed a 'mid' knob. Played a couple of songs and it was passable but went back to the Fafner after a while.

I think there's a definite potential, it's just a matter of finding the right speaker and the right DI, I'd quite like to try the VT deluxe as I think that's closer to the my tone. Gonna keep trying!

From my experience I think that the Microbass is a lot similar in sound to the HD 350 than it is to the Fafner. I think that the EBS Valvedrive would get you a lot closer to the sound of the Fafner in pedal form. Great pedal though the microbass.

In my opinion you are probably not going to get the same sound shaping capabilities and flexibilty as a full on amp as the Fafner through something like the Bass Driver, which while awesome, is really just going to give a couple of stock sounds (which are really great, but change the character of your bass a fair bit). I don't think the Bass Driver is something for those that are constantly changing settings. Its a bit of a 'plug in and go box' in my experience

Try turning the 'blend' knob on the Sansamp down for starters though, so you get a more transparent sound coming through.