Why become a member? ×

Synth Bass Plugins

cureswhatailsye

Hi guys,

I've been really wanting to sort myself out with some synth tones for Chaka Khan and Stevie Wonder tunes in my function band. Having decided that my poor wallet can't justify a pedal I've decided to go the Nathan Watts route and set myself up with a little midi keyboard and Macbook instead, to have running on an aux into my rig (keys was my first instrument so shouldn't be a problem). Can anyone recommend a good retro analogue synth plugin to replicate those Greg Phillinganes and Stevie synth tones?

Thanks.

Just a point - yes I am aware that Nate Watts doesn't use a £50 midi keyboard and laptop! But you get the gist!

[quote name='cureswhatailsye' post='1137464' date='Feb 22 2011, 06:52 PM']Hi guys,

I've been really wanting to sort myself out with some synth tones for Chaka Khan and Stevie Wonder tunes in my function band. Having decided that my poor wallet can't justify a pedal I've decided to go the Nathan Watts route and set myself up with a little midi keyboard and Macbook instead, to have running on an aux into my rig (keys was my first instrument so shouldn't be a problem). Can anyone recommend a good retro analogue synth plugin to replicate those Greg Phillinganes and Stevie synth tones?

Thanks.[/quote]

Are you wanting to play bass through it or just play it as a keyboard?

For bass, use Guitar Rig, or see if you can find the Moog pedals plugins.

For keys you get an awesome free one with ProTools called Vacuum which you might be able to find.
Fxpansion do a free one called Orca, sounds great but it doesn't have a lot of control.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1138564' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:53 PM']I've used Spetrasonic's Trilogy many times. Some very nice sounds in there.

Dan

EDIT: Trilogy has been discontinued and replaced with 'Trillian' which I've not used.[/quote]

+1 for the trilogy. the best thing about it is that they took the time to record lots of classic analogue synths, so it sounds pretty naiiiice

Edited by cycrowave

[quote name='paul_5' post='1201398' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:45 AM']I personally favour the Korg MS20 plugin. It works as a standalone app too, so you don't have to have your DAW running onstage. I think it'll run from an iPad too, which gives you even less gear t transport.[/quote]

....and an excuse to buy an iPad!