Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB680 pre-Amp

GremlinAndy

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='285469' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:07 PM']BTW those of you who know me will know that I bought an Aguilar Agro to play with. I'm not looking to improve on the sound I have with the 680, I couldn't. But I was interested to see if the Agro could open my eyes to *another* new world. It didn't. I'm not a distortion kinda guy so I may be the wrong person to judge...
HOWEVER, this last weekend, I rehearsed (we rehearse silently through a desk with cans and a TD20 kit) ...with the through-output of the 680 plugged into the input of the agro.
I had the 680 DI into one channel on the desk as usual, but I set up another channel on the desk for the output of the agro.
The mixed sound was very interesting. I had a very small amount of the Agro to augment the 680, and when the whole band struck up it almost vanished, but not quite. It will still take some experimentation to get the balance right but I'm convinced there's a place for it in my sound. Somewhere.
I imagine I'll have more to say on this subject in a few weeks.[/quote]

On the subject of valve overdrive/distortion sounds, I have a DHA valve effects pedal which I sometimes run in front of the DB680. The output of the first valve drives the second valve on the pedal, all of which then goes into the DB680. (There's a Master type control which means I can run the effect into the DB680 without overdriving it). It sounds better than an Ampeg to my ears. It sounds a bit like an old valve Marshall stack on the verge of explosion.

Edited by The Funk

• 7 months later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='130362' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:18 AM']I'm just going to say a few words here guys. Because this is info some of you may have been keeping quiet.

[i][b]"If you can possibly try an Aggie DB680, then you should."[/b][/i]

I bought one fairly recently, and it was like an epiphany! I have always prided myself on having a good sound. But after hearing my sound through this pre I realised that I've been missing my best possible sound by quite a margin.

Now it's not like I don't have experience of other pre's... I currently own: A Bass pod Pro XT, an Alembic F1-X, A Hughes and Kettner "Fortress", Trace Elliot MP11, GP12, GP11 MK5, Sans Amp, and a couple of other not worth mentioning. Plus A lexicon MPX G2 which has a great pre in it's own right.
Some have a tube upfront, some are just SS, but NONE of them have the sweet tones of the 680. You might, like me, have read some reviews, and while people rave about the 680, it's true to say that the owners of many other pre's rave about thiers too. Well I would have to say, PLEASE try this out for yourself and make a call yourself, if you can possibly get access.

The Aggie makes your sound more tonally pleasing than ever before, it makes the high notes more balanced with the lows, (bye bye reedy thin highs, hello fat fullsome singing highs.) Yet the lows ring with a bell like quality ...and "sympathetic frequencies" (I'm searching for the correct phrase here, forgive me), previously unheard, come to the fore and add to the richness of the sound...
It's a MARKED difference. You'll even find that the drummer notices (sorry drummers that was a cheap shot. But *actually* true) that the bass guitar is more pronounced, but not overpowering.
If anything it sits in the mix much easier. The difference is very musical.

I've had mine for a while now, but I've resisted actually raving about it, because I wanted to get me a second one before I potentially increased the competition on them. However I ordered my *spare* one today and it's on it's way. A mark of how impressed I am with this pre is the very fact that I *NEEDED* to secure a second one in case my first one ever fails. And with a retail of nearly £1000 that's not an easy call. ...but that does maybe tell you just how good this thing is.

[b]Pro's: [/b]the best sound bar none! Nuff' said!

[b]Cons: [/b]If you want a dirty filthy overdriven sound, then I have to warn you... Thats the only sound the 680 can't accomplish (actually, hardly at all) You should look elsewhere for that particular sound. And the price... The 680 cost me double my second most expensive pre, but honestly, it's worth every penny if you can afford it.

Andy[/quote]

You ordered your "spare"? Now that's just showing off!

And you'll have to pardon my ignorance, but you "ordered" your spare?? I thought they were discontinued....?

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='471188' date='Apr 23 2009, 11:55 PM']You ordered your "spare"? Now that's just showing off!

And you'll have to pardon my ignorance, but you "ordered" your spare?? I thought they were discontinued....?[/quote]

It might seem like showing off I guess, but I'm the kind of guy that when I find a great piece of gear *especially* one that's discontinued, I like to know that I'm not gonna be without it. Even in the event of a pretty catastrophic failure. :rolleyes:

Discontinued? Indeed they are... But a good scouring of the internet turned up a place which had a new, old stock 680 in stock. :) Result!
This was quite a while ago now, and I can't remember their name, but they were very helpful and superfast delivery... Don't suppose that helps much does it.

I just ordered a Jonas Hellborg Pre and am waiting for delivery... Hopefully I'll get it this weekend and be able to tell you whether the 680 is outperforming the *very* expensive Warwick flagship pre...

Standby...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had it a couple of weeks now.

Erm I have to say that the sound is *really* pleasing.

It falls short, in my opinion of the DB680 in that it doesn't give a natural tubey compression. It's a typical tranny feel. ...only maxed out to 11. ...and if anything it gives me a growl which the Aggie doesn't. (Which will probably suit more folk out there than the warm - but hi-fi feel of the DB680)

The top and bottom of it is that for ease, size *and sound* I will probably gig with the Warwick...
But I think I would go back to the DB680 for recording. The 680 still has that *musicality* edge that's hard to define. But the Hellborg is also great. Different, not in a bad way, ...and like the 680 is leagues ahead of the rest. (IMO)
I think the live sound of the Hellborg is probably easier to shape than the 680. I find the tone controls on BOTH these units is kinda limited, however, (and this is VERY important), ...since the sound you get by having everything flat, is FRIGGING awesome, you don't need to fanny much.
However, I do feel both are less versatile than most bassists will be used to. (That's a hard to explain "good thing", rather than bad...)

In summary:

The Hellborg is wicked, and is going to become my gig rig pre. I still think the Aggie has a slight edge... in that it's warmer, but I love the slightly harder aggressive sound of the Hellborg.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first live rehearsal (rather than the pre into a desk, and amplified via cans) today.
It was the Hellborg Pre into a Powersoft 3002, and into 2x schroeder 21012L's. Jeezus begorrah! Are you kidding me, this is the LOUDEST rig in the world. ...Well, ...it has the potential for *much* more, but I stopped way short of maximum because I had such a great sound at a managable volume. Just wait until I'm gigging with the 2x 1515L's under those two... And drive my amp at 2ohms per side, OMG.... Headroom to die for, in even the largest venue. And all at an easily managable size/weight.
It just doesn't get much better.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='135037' date='Feb 6 2008, 03:35 PM']I've always avoided Mesa stuff because although they sound great they have a really bad rep for breakdowns (True/false?)

But for the sake of giving it a try...[/quote]

MY amp repair guy...who REALLY knows his inions, has nothing good to say about the build of Mesa B.

I'd like to link the Ag pre up with a variable x-over and decent SS stereo power amp.

That would be my next move, I think...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320392208393&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]Aggie DB680 on EBay. [/url]
I'm keeping mine (both of em.) ...even though I'm favouring the Hellborg. The reason I'm favoring the Hellborg is down to the fact that there's not much between them, both are equisite sounding. However, the Hellborg is only 1Unit high and also, being Solid State, is hopefully, more robust for gigging. Although it cost nearly twice the price of this linked DB680)

So I dunno if you're interested, I posted the link in the ebay section too. Good Luck, if I wasn't already minted up with pre's I'd be bidding on this one myself.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Wanted to bump this as I'm looking for a pre I want to move from my Mesa 400+ to a pre and 2 Mesa Strategy power amps I've aquired.

I think the Aguilar is too expensive for me, but I wouldn't mind trying it to find out, if any of you guys want to try these beautiful pres through some tube power amps :)

Also Gremlin did you get rid of the F-1X now?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='606440' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:57 AM']Wanted to bump this as I'm looking for a pre I want to move from my Mesa 400+ to a pre and 2 Mesa Strategy power amps I've aquired.

I think the Aguilar is too expensive for me, but I wouldn't mind trying it to find out, if any of you guys want to try these beautiful pres through some tube power amps :rolleyes:

Also Gremlin did you get rid of the F-1X now?[/quote]

hey buddy!

nope, I still have it. Make an offer :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='608419' date='Sep 25 2009, 10:05 AM']Don't know, trying to get a DB680 someone told me they were better but I don't remember who.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Well I can confirm that while the F1X is a classic tone, my preference is for the 680. easily.

However the difference in price would be *substantial*. Very substantial. So don't be afraid to go low.... :)

• 9 months later...

Hiya

We're having a summer clear out and the DB728 will become available if this is still of interest?

We may also have some cool Glock gear as well.

Ciao

Ian

SMART: I too would have made an offer on that 728 so, please, keep me posted if it comes available. (This was my thread initially, curse you joegarcia!) :)

GremlinAndy
[/quote]

Edited by SMART

• 1 year later...

[quote]Hiya

We're having a summer clear out and the DB728 will become available if this is still of interest?

We may also have some cool Glock gear as well.

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Did I miss this post 2 years ago? It sounds like you're saying you have (or *had*) a DB728 for sale and was asking me if I was interested...?

What happened to it?