Why become a member? ×

Great new music software?

skej21

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12510702"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12510702[/url]

How useful do you think this would be to you?

After years of straining my ear/cranking the volume really loud to transcribe quiet bass parts (usually hidden behind noisy/distorted guitar parts) this might be an advancement in technology that is actually quite useful! Don't know how much it will cost though...

What do you all think?

[quote name='bartelby' post='1136761' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:41 AM']Does it work?[/quote]

That's the question. The video would IMPLY that it works well but they are targeting people who can use it to create their own backing tracks/karaoke tracks... so who knows whether it will be good. It's certainly a good starting point to build from though. Shows a lot of promise I reckon.

[quote name='skej21' post='1136771' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:49 AM']but they are targeting people who can use it to create their own backing tracks/karaoke tracks...[/quote]

Re- Mixing and re- hashing producers/sound designers etc will find this a great tool.
Like you say, shows promise.

Garry

Its not the first tool to do something like this, there was an retuning bit of software (name escapes me naturally) that can change individual notes in a chord, or different instruments in an orchestral piece IIRC. Npt doing quite the same thing - it was all about changing pitches, but effectively isolating specific parts from the whole is a very similar task in both instances.

Its always going to be worse than having the master tracks, you are at the mercy of what the process can determine, and what the mix engineer/mastering engineer have done.

However its a pretty staggering developement IMO. Couldnt say how useful it will really be, wait long enough and someone will make somehting similar that isnt propritary though....

[quote name='51m0n' post='1136789' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:05 AM']Its not the first tool to do something like this, there was an retuning bit of software (name escapes me naturally) that can change individual notes in a chord, or different instruments in an orchestral piece IIRC.[/quote]

Melodyne Studio?