Why become a member? ×

Tubes to tame Orange Bass Terror?

Beedster

You'd have to try it I guess! Depends whether the DI is too hot because of the V2 tube itself, or because the V1 tube is feeding it too hot a signal. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

If I had to guess, I'd say changing V1 would make the gain knob range more usable, and changing V2 would lower volume through the fx loop and DI.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395875359' post='2407615']
If you check the diagram in the manual, it looks like the second tube only drives the FX loop and DI so therefore shouldn't have an impact on the main tone - so just changing the V1 tube, which should be the one on the right nearest the input should be enough to tame the gain control.

[/quote]
Nice one DB cheers

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395899379' post='2407682']
You'd have to try it I guess! Depends whether the DI is too hot because of the V2 tube itself, or because the V1 tube is feeding it too hot a signal. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

If I had to guess, I'd say changing V1 would make the gain knob range more usable, and changing V2 would lower volume through the fx loop and DI.
[/quote]

In which case, if it were I, going by the diagram above, I'd try a 5751 in V1 and V2 and a 12AX7 in V3 and if the DI signal was still too hot, try a 12AU7 in V3 instead. This combo ought to give both more headroom and reduce the DI signal.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Ahhh - ok - I read the diagram as having 3 tubes.

Same combination though, 5751 and 12AY7/12AU7.

Can but try it.

By the way, it seems that some valves marked 5751/12AY7/12AU7 are actually faulty or low quality 12AX7s being flogged off - and there are differences. If you go this route do your best to get genuine articles.

G.