Why become a member? ×

Recording a good bass sound

flyfisher

[quote name='urb' post='1136244' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:53 PM']I totally agree - I've got really sweet sounds from all my basses, all great quality instruments, by running them through the most basic bass/guitar amp that comes with Logic, this gives me a great clean sound that I've A/B'd with the sound I get via either the Mark Bass Studio 1 plugin, Amplitube or other modeling software - and I prefer the huge range of tones I can get from my basses than all the 'simulated' sounds. However I do think the plugins create some great tones I do use from time to time - but overall I think they can make your tone sound 'forced' IMO.

One question I have got for you lovely lot is related to this subject though; is there a noticeable advantage to using a valve compressor as a preamp / interface between bass and DAW?

Thanks for any answers...

Mike[/quote]
definately! any tube preamp and/or pre daw compressor will boost your signal and minimise the need for extra plugins, making the job easier for your pooter. this is also a good idea when tracking vocals too. use minimally of course. dont kill it!

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='urb' post='1136244' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:53 PM']I totally agree - I've got really sweet sounds from all my basses, all great quality instruments, by running them through the most basic bass/guitar amp that comes with Logic, this gives me a great clean sound that I've A/B'd with the sound I get via either the Mark Bass Studio 1 plugin, Amplitube or other modeling software - and I prefer the huge range of tones I can get from my basses than all the 'simulated' sounds. However I do think the plugins create some great tones I do use from time to time - but overall I think they can make your tone sound 'forced' IMO.

One question I have got for you lovely lot is related to this subject though; is there a noticeable advantage to using a valve compressor as a preamp / interface between bass and DAW?

Thanks for any answers...

Mike[/quote]

If you like the sound of it then its an advantage!

Simple...

Most tube comps are more noisy than their SS brethren though, not necessarily too noisy depending on the situation, and I am aware that its a sweeping generalisation, and that tube comps have been used succesfully iin recording for ever and a day, its still true though. Having said that FETs are noisier still very often, nature of the circuit.

You may find if you are very noise averse that a very good simple pre with basic defeatable tone controls into a decent SS comp will actually get you a better result, assuming you set them up right. Your Sei sounded gorgeous through my rig at the SE Bash, hitting the compressor pretty hard without you noticing it as you played. I know the ae410 isnt considered the warmest of cabs, but married to the sa450 and with the right compression on the front its a crazy good sound. I'd DI and mic that in a heartbeat....

[quote name='51m0n' post='1136362' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:53 PM']If you like the sound of it then its an advantage!

Simple...

Most tube comps are more noisy than their SS brethren though, not necessarily too noisy depending on the situation, and I am aware that its a sweeping generalisation, and that tube comps have been used succesfully iin recording for ever and a day, its still true though. Having said that FETs are noisier still very often, nature of the circuit.

You may find if you are very noise averse that a very good simple pre with basic defeatable tone controls into a decent SS comp will actually get you a better result, assuming you set them up right. Your Sei sounded gorgeous through my rig at the SE Bash, hitting the compressor pretty hard without you noticing it as you played. I know the ae410 isnt considered the warmest of cabs, but married to the sa450 and with the right compression on the front its a crazy good sound. I'd DI and mic that in a heartbeat....[/quote]

Thanks man - great info/advice - I guess I should look into a SS comp and or DI - so what's a good one? I can't justify spending more than £200-£150 - are there any good ones? I've been thinking about it for a while - I don't use a DI generally and just go direct into my Mackie Onyx soundcard - the level is usually fine from the bass, so I'm not really conderned about that, so will a sansamp or mark bass DI or similar give a noticeable improvement in depth of tone/resonance?

Any thoughts on this welcome - thanks in advance

M

[quote name='51m0n' post='1135793' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:11 PM']Ok, I understnd the sentiment, really I do, KISS and all that, and new strings are very important for a good bass sound, decent kit played well is a must too.[/quote]

Yeah theres loads more to it but what im saying is the basics of the chain is important.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1135590' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:15 PM']That's technialy re-amping, which I know alot of guys do.. it's a great way to play around with your sound.. The straight DI first is the key, alot of people miss that[/quote]

Yup. though even which DI you choose also makes a huge difference. I have about a dozen DI's in my studio but I long ago narrowed my use down to either a creation audio MW1 for super clean and an A Designs Reddi for tubey warmth.

A few free amp sims that I think sound quite nice:

[url="http://www.mcrow.net/Preamp%20Emulator%20VST.htm"]Musicrow Preamp Emulator[/url]
[url="http://rekkerd.org/fretted-synth/"]Helian Bass[/url] - there's a lot of stuff on that page; the link I'm talking about is the 15th one down. The top one, 3rd Bass, is new to me but might be worth a look as well. And while we're here, the FreeAmp guitar sims are great too. Perhaps not so much for, say, a classic blues tone, but for crazier sounds I think they're pretty cool.

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='1142055' date='Feb 26 2011, 07:40 AM']Yup. though even which DI you choose also makes a huge difference. I have about a dozen DI's in my studio but I long ago narrowed my use down to either a creation audio MW1 for super clean and an A Designs Reddi for tubey warmth.[/quote]

Stop it, you swine, I'd love a Reddi, but cant get close to justifying the expense!

[quote name='urb' post='1136386' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:04 PM']Thanks man - great info/advice - I guess I should look into a SS comp and or DI - so what's a good one? I can't justify spending more than £200-£150 - are there any good ones? I've been thinking about it for a while - I don't use a DI generally and just go direct into my Mackie Onyx soundcard - the level is usually fine from the bass, so I'm not really conderned about that, so will a sansamp or mark bass DI or similar give a noticeable improvement in depth of tone/resonance?

Any thoughts on this welcome - thanks in advance

M[/quote]

I got my Compounder for under £200 on Evilbay. Had to be patient though, then three came along and I got the middle one for a bargain.

A lot of people swear by Radial DI boxes, but they arent cheap.

I always tend to record my basses fairly clean, then add stuff later as required, unless I'm using a specific effect and need to hear it as I play.

If you are playing a clean sounding bass line, then all the tone should come from the combination of the bass, strings and your fingers. A good bass with quality pickups and strings should sound great by itself with no processing whatsoever. Over process it, any you'll loose all those tasty little nuances. If your a metaller then of course it's a different story.... The important thing is, you can always add to a good basic sound, but you can't take stuff away.

Once I've recorded, then I'll tweak it as required so it sits nicely in the mix. Compression is always good - don't over do it though. EQ can help to balance it against the other instruments, again don't overdo it. A little reverb can be good too, maybe a touch of grit from amplitube or even guitar rig...try stuff out, it all depends on what you are after.

And plugins are definitely not a fad. I've being using them for years with Cubase/Nuendo - if used properly they give you a world of sound posibilities that were previously unavailable for the home studio recordist.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1144580' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:43 PM']Stop it, you swine, I'd love a Reddi, but cant get close to justifying the expense![/quote]

Tell the wife it doesn't just sound good but it's big and red and beautiful too. persuade her its a work of art and put it on the mantelpiece...