Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right hand rock technique

mez6d657a

So here's a video of Bryan Beller playing along to Freak Show Excess by Steve Vai:

I've been experimenting with different techniques to try and get something close to his sound when the tune kicks in at 0:20 - it's that kind of thumping effect, almost like he's hitting the strings rather than plucking them - but I'm struggling. I don't understand how you do it hard enough to get the requisite amount of attack, yet soft enough to avoid the vibrating strings clanking off the frets (and the setup on my bass is ok - I had it done not long ago, and I like the action reasonably high anyway).

Here's another example of the kind of thing I've got in mind; it's the isolated bass track from Suck My Kiss by the Red Hot Chili Peppers:

It sounds like he's playing really hard and aggressively, but there's no fret rattle at all. What am I missing? Any help or technique advice gratefully received.

Just practise I'm afraid. Confidence with the song will help make sure you accent properly and also develop the strength in your fingers. Also, try using a little wrist movement to help get some power into your playing. Tap a table with your wrist flat on the table, and then tap the table with the same finger, but using your wrist to provide the power. There should be a difference in timbre. Apply this technique to playing these songs.

Also, try turning up the bass and treble and reducing the mids a little on your EQ, that should help get rid of some of the twang, but it'll only help to a certain extent.

Hope this helps

Truckstop

Yep..he just attacks very hard..as does Entwhistle.

It probably came very natural to him but he does a good job keeping it clean which would be the nornal trade-off of this approach.

You are going to have to hit the strings with a downward finger stroke/dab rather than a gentle upward stroke which most might have a tendancy to do.

This is not a light touch player so your left hand might have to get grabby and also not be so relaxed.
This is not an easy thing to emulate if it is not your natural style.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1132342' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:28 PM']Also, try turning up the bass and treble and reducing the mids a little on your EQ, that should help get rid of some of the twang, but it'll only help to a certain extent.[/quote]

As Truckstop says - It's not just your fretting / hammering and your fingering technique you need to work on. Your bass sound also has a lot to do with it. You need something that can growl - preferably with a fresh, new set of strings to give that bright clean tone & have lots or treble as it's the heavy playing and the fret buzz that you actually want to get this sort of sound. Also sounds like there's a little overdrive on the amp giving it that slightly cranked sound.

I loved the chilli tone when I first learnt to play - finally realised I had the wrong bass & although I could get the technique down, without the right equipment I'd never get the sound. Chasing the sound has cost me a lot of money over the years lol

OK scrub the bit about the fret noise - just looked at another of the videos.

Nice bright bass with fresh, clean strings & slight OD (Sansamp or Ampeg type tone) and some practice on your technique.

I found that not having the right bass was holding me back but I could compensate with a Tech21 VT Bass to dial in the angry tone :) got a nice similar sound using that.

Bryan Beller is a monster player.
My friend Steve (a drummer) has recorded with Bryan Beller & as a result I will never be able to play in any kind of musical situation with Steve ever again as I'd just feel totally inadequate. :)

I have to say I think his tone in those clips is bloody awful - probably works OK in a band context though.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1135998' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:10 PM']Bryan Beller is a monster player.
My friend Steve (a drummer) has recorded with Bryan Beller & as a result I will never be able to play in any kind of musical situation with Steve ever again as I'd just feel totally inadequate. :)

I have to say I think his tone in those clips is bloody awful - probably works OK in a band context though.[/quote]

I had a lesson with Bryan a few years ago and then hung out on the last Vai tour. He really is a monster player-crazy chops,but also really musical.