Why become a member? ×

suddenly realised i'm a full DB convert

ZMech

Well, I was sitting in my room today, looking forlornly at the corner of my room where my DB normally sits, as it's getting an adjustment. My bass guitar's still here, but it just doesn't really cut it any more, and I just had a moment where i realised that, I truly am converted to the ways of the upright. Has been a good couple of months.

Anyone else had a moment like this?

I decided the opposite a while ago - I thought I didn't have enough time to concentrate on both electric and upright so decided to leave the DB alone and concentrate on playing and building electrics. Over the past year though I've found myself moving back to the DB again. I think once you've played double bass that's it, it's kind of the ultimate string instrument and everything else feels a bit like playing with toys.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1127906' date='Feb 15 2011, 07:15 AM']everything else feels a bit like playing with toys.[/quote]
Yup that's pretty much how i feel when i pick the electric back up. Although it does make it feel extremely easy to play by comparison.

[quote name='TPJ' post='1128058' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:19 AM']I love to play both electric and DB. They offer different musical gratification and I can't do without either. :)[/quote]
Yeah I can understand that, BG is definitely more suited to things that need that stronger simpler sound e.g. funk. Saying that, I think most bands I join from now on will be on the DB (at least that's the plan).

[quote name='Zach' post='1128088' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:44 AM']Yeah I can understand that, BG is definitely more suited to things that need that stronger simpler sound e.g. funk. Saying that, I think most bands I join from now on will be on the DB (at least that's the plan).[/quote]
I somewhat agree. Our covers band does all rock and pop tunes with a format of DB, AC guitar and Cajon.
You can play any genre on DB, it's learning how to make it sound good that's tricky.

I certainly am! Ever since playing Steve Berry's absolutely stunning fully carved DB, I've been smitten. I've owned a full scale DB in the past, but couldn't get on with it. Having played such an amazing instrument before owning my own, I realised that to get what Steve had, I'd have to spend at least 15k +, and that is never going to happen. So for me, the EUB is a good choice. I know it's no real DB, but the physicality of the instrument makes you play in a different way entirely and forcing you into thinking about what you're doing, rather than just going with the flow. I'm still very much getting my chops back in, and I'm finding fatigue an issue at the moment, but it will come back eventually with loads of practice. And that's just it, I want to practice with the upright, the bass I don't. Plus, in my minds eye, even though I'm playing an EUB, I sound like Jasper Hølby or Dan Bergland, so I'm more than happy :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1128894' date='Feb 15 2011, 08:52 PM']I'd have to spend at least 15k +[/quote]
Spent £500 on my db, and whilst i'm aware she's not beautiful, she sings sweetly enough that I'm happy. Have discovered why people on here mention you'll never be without a gig on DB last night. Went down to an open mic night, and almost every of the singers/guitarists I chatted to were immediately interested as soon as I said i play double bass :) seems for the first time i'll have a choice of bands! well, at least until they realise I'm not very good yet.

[quote name='Zach' post='1130611' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:25 AM']:) seems for the first time i'll have a choice of bands! well, at least until they realise I'm not very good yet.[/quote]

I wouldn't let that stop you. Most 'singer guitarist' types never listen to anyone but themselves anyway so as long as you can follow the chord changes with a couple of root notes per bar they'll think you're great. Chuck in some root-fifth stuff and the odd octave-fifth-root triplets and they'll think you're the next Danny Thompson.

I am interested in the fact that some report that the number of gigs they get has increased since taking up the double bass. To my surprise, I have found that, since taking it up, the number of gigs I have done has nosedived! 2 in Jan, 2 in Feb, none in March, 4 in April - that'll be 24 all year - my lowest in a decade! I think I am just unlucky and the gigs in this area are just drying up because of the recession (although I heard recently of a crap local jazz quartet (all beginners) are doing gigs for nothing to get experience. Thanks guys :))

I've been quite seduced by the DB as well.

At my first jam session the other night with the DB I simply suggested we play songs that mainly had E,A,D, or G in them (or at least one of them!!) and was pleasantly surprised at how satisfying even that was. And, wonder of wonders, I've been invited back :-). That's a result in my book.

I can definitely see a lift in the number of *unpaid* gigs one could do on the DB - e.g. with acoustic acts at unpaid gigs in cafes/pubs on their new music nights. Mind you, round here, not having to pay to play is a result for me.... :-)