Why become a member? ×

Stingray MM Classic series

Jigster

...was having a mooch this morning and had a look at the above bass - reminded me of Musicman20 on here mentioning neck pocket gaps on the new Classic range - couldn't believe my eyes - the thing's hanging there for nearly £1700 and you could get a square full of Egyptian protestors in the gap with room to spare!! :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='1124020' date='Feb 11 2011, 04:37 PM']Maybe they're trying to emulate the late 70s/early 80s quality issues just to make the play as authentic as possible. Look out also for straight truss rods and cracking/crazing body finishes :)[/quote]
I haven't seen a bad quality pre EB yet, crazed finish yes but my 82' is a well made as my 2010, neck pocket and nuns chuff spring to mind on mine :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1124143' date='Feb 11 2011, 06:04 PM']I haven't seen a bad quality pre EB yet, crazed finish yes but my 82' is a well made as my 2010, neck pocket and nuns chuff spring to mind on mine :)[/quote]
There were neck issues with SOME (but not all) of the Stingray guitars from around 83 and 84. Leo made them without truss rods in protest at various issues within the company at the time. Not sure if the same issues cropped up with the basses though. There was one '83 bass for sale on here a while back that seemed to be perfectly ok.

Best EB basses are late 80's, early 90's IMO. Great build quality as they had something to prove back then. These days I think the company is paying too much attention to superficial aspects and marketing. I think their forum has given them a really distorted view of their potential market and they're losing their way.

Give it another 2 years and I expect they'll be loudly trumpeting a back to basics approach.

Mine certainly has a fully functioning truss rod and by far the best neck of my three Rays. Me Ou7shined and Musicman20 have all commented on how good the late 80's early 90's versions are and I think we have already seen a price premium in the last year or even less for nice ones. Teal , Maple ,Mutes and figured neck FTW :)

I [i]did[/i] have quality issues with my pre EB Ray - it didn't stop it sounding and feeling fantastic but when I px'd it for one of the first SR5's (EBMM obviously), the 5 [i]was[/i] better fit and finish wise.

Owning a Stingray is something all bass players should do at least once - it's a rite of passage...

[quote name='henry norton' post='1124390' date='Feb 11 2011, 09:31 PM']I [i]did[/i] have quality issues with my pre EB Ray - it didn't stop it sounding and feeling fantastic but when I px'd it for one of the first SR5's (EBMM obviously), the 5 [i]was[/i] better fit and finish wise.

Owning a Stingray is something all bass players should do at least once - it's a rite of passage...[/quote]
Well I'm just greedy and have a pre EB, an SR5 and an EBMM SR4 :) obviously the sr5 has a more modern finish and feel but it's my least favourite neck as it's just too fresh at the moment 10 years of playing should sort it! It's a bit like having a classic sports car and a new version, You would love them both in their own different ways and when being used in the most suitable circumstances.