Why become a member? ×

Unhappy with tone

norvegicusbass

For Xmas and to my great surprise my young son and daughter bought me a bass guitar ( my daughter probably got sick and tired of me nicking her six string school acoustic to pick out old punk numbers . It was cheap obviously as I wouldn't have wanted them to spend any money on the old man but the guitar they picked seemed nice enough. An acoustic/electric Lindo bass. Thing is I am getting a lot of unwanted sound from the strings as I pull my fingers off the fret. It seems to me that the height of the frets are quite high which means I have to press hard to make the string come into contact with the fret board and when I move my fingers from a note played it seems to make unwanted additional noises. Thus far I haven't plugged into an amp and used the active pick ups will this help iron out the sound? Also is this a problem with Lindos? I have heard a few people say the frets seem a mm or two too high.

If you don't want to solve the problem yourself - you could take it to a local music shop and ask for your action lowered. I don't know too much about this but it could be lowering the bridge saddles or tinkering with the truss rod (which is really important to the welfare of the neck). Hope that helps.

I don't know this bass at all but I don't think you should really be trying to make the string contact the fretboard. The string needs to contact the fret, cleanly and firmly but no need to press the string further down than that. In fact, if the frets are rather high you may put the note out of intonation by trying to press down to the fretboard.

When you lift your finger from a note it is likely to make a sound if you're not muting it. There are many ways of muting using left hand and/or right hand and if you go to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=31"]Theory and Technique forum[/url] and then search (at the top right of the page) for muting you'll find lots of threads with suggestions about muting.

And welcome to Basschat.

[quote name='HMX' post='1122091' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:29 PM']If you don't want to solve the problem yourself - you could take it to a local music shop and ask for your action lowered. I don't know too much about this but it could be lowering the bridge saddles or tinkering with the truss rod (which is really important to the welfare of the neck). Hope that helps.[/quote]

Yeah cheers I will look into it but maybe I will just persevere until I upgrade my bass to a Fender P LOL

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1122101' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:36 PM']I don't know this bass at all but I don't think you should really be trying to make the string contact the fretboard. The string needs to contact the fret, cleanly and firmly but no need to press the string further down than that. In fact, if the frets are rather high you may put the note out of intonation by trying to press down to the fretboard.

When you lift your finger from a note it is likely to make a sound if you're not muting it. There are many ways of muting using left hand and/or right hand and if you go to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=31"]Theory and Technique forum[/url] and then search (at the top right of the page) for muting you'll find lots of threads with suggestions about muting.

And welcome to Basschat.[/quote]

Cheers ET I have a lot of reading to do here and practice also. Damn I wish I hadnt given up all those years ago I might be a rich reclusive former rockstar with a country pile by now

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1122078' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:17 PM']For Xmas and to my great surprise my young son and daughter bought me a bass guitar ( my daughter probably got sick and tired of me nicking her six string school acoustic to pick out old punk numbers . It was cheap obviously as I wouldn't have wanted them to spend any money on the old man but the guitar they picked seemed nice enough. An acoustic/electric Lindo bass. Thing is I am getting a lot of unwanted sound from the strings as I pull my fingers off the fret. It seems to me that the height of the frets are quite high which means I have to press hard to make the string come into contact with the fret board and when I move my fingers from a note played it seems to make unwanted additional noises. Thus far I haven't plugged into an amp and used the active pick ups will this help iron out the sound? Also is this a problem with Lindos? I have heard a few people say the frets seem a mm or two too high.[/quote]
Hello mate.

The height of the frets is no issue, some instruments, especially from the middle ages had scalloped fingerboards, trust me, it's not a problem. The height of the strings above the frets is important, ie. the 'action'. Acoustic hollowbody instruments are more prone to accentuating string and finger noise, it's common, some people like it, I don't mind it for certain things, it adds character.

Just a point, when you fret a string, you only need to press hard enough to get the string to make the note ring clear on the fret, there is no need at all for the string to touch the fingerboard, in fact you should avoid that at all costs. It usually only requires a fairly light touch to fret the string.

Hope that helps. Photos would be useful and measurements, I'm sure we can give you an online diagnosis :)

Cheers.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1122078' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:17 PM']For Xmas and to my great surprise my young son and daughter bought me a bass guitar ( my daughter probably got sick and tired of me nicking her six string school acoustic to pick out old punk numbers . It was cheap obviously as I wouldn't have wanted them to spend any money on the old man but the guitar they picked seemed nice enough. An acoustic/electric Lindo bass. Thing is I am getting a lot of unwanted sound from the strings as I pull my fingers off the fret. It seems to me that the height of the frets are quite high which means I have to press hard to make the string come into contact with the fret board and when I move my fingers from a note played it seems to make unwanted additional noises. Thus far I haven't plugged into an amp and used the active pick ups will this help iron out the sound? Also is this a problem with Lindos? I have heard a few people say the frets seem a mm or two too high.[/quote]

It's perhaps a mixture of things.
Part of it might be technique - controlling a bass string can be a little awkward to begin with, partly due to it's thickness compared to a guitar string - that'll come naturally given enough practice though. :)

If you are struggling to fret the strings then it may pay you to get someone to take a look at the neck for you - bass guitars 'out of the box' often need a little tweak to get them into good 'playing shape'.

[quote name='silddx' post='1122116' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:41 PM']Hello mate.

The height of the frets is no issue, some instruments, especially from the middle ages had scalloped fingerboards, trust me, it's not a problem. The height of the strings above the frets is important, ie. the 'action'. Acoustic hollowbody instruments are more prone to accentuating string and finger noise, it's common, some people like it, I don't mind it for certain things, it adds character.

Just a point, when you fret a string, you only need to press hard enough to get the string to make the note ring clear on the fret, there is no need at all for the string to touch the fingerboard, in fact you should avoid that at all costs. It usually only requires a fairly light touch to fret the string.

Hope that helps. Photos would be useful and measurements, I'm sure we can give you an online diagnosis :)

Cheers.[/quote]

Ahh it seems from yours and ET's replies that I have been playing with a misunderstanding all these years no wonder my finger tips are hard as nails. I will apply a lighter touch and see if that works. BTW does that mean when you fret a string your finger is directly on top of the fret? I always thought it was placed between the frets

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1122136' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:49 PM']Ahh it seems from yours and ET's replies that I have been playing with a misunderstanding all these years no wonder my finger tips are hard as nails. I will apply a lighter touch and see if that works. BTW does that mean when you fret a string your finger is directly on top of the fret? I always thought it was placed between the frets[/quote]
Just before the fret, as close as you can without being on top of it.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1122136' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:49 PM']Ahh it seems from yours and ET's replies that I have been playing with a misunderstanding all these years no wonder my finger tips are hard as nails. I will apply a lighter touch and see if that works. BTW does that mean when you fret a string your finger is directly on top of the fret? I always thought it was placed between the frets[/quote]
Not directly on the fret so that half the finger is overlapping past the fret - but directly applying pressure immediately behind the fret. So the leading edge of the finger will line up with the front edge of the fret.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1122145' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:53 PM']Not directly on the fret so that half the finger is overlapping past the fret - but directly applying pressure immediately behind the fret. So the leading edge of the finger will line up with the front edge of the fret.[/quote]
We appear to be Siamese twins tonight mate :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1122116' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:41 PM']... Acoustic hollowbody instruments are more prone to accentuating string and finger noise, it's common, some people like it, I don't mind it for certain things, it adds character ...[/quote]
The accentuation of string noise on an electro-acoustic bass is made 'worse' if you have the bronze acoustic bass strings which are commonly fitted as stock. They tend to be louder than nickels or stainless or some kind of flatwounds. But, as silddx says, some people like that.

Might be worth finding a teacher, they'll be able to advise on the string height on your bass and also where your fingering the note, how relaxed your hand is, wrist position etc.

You'll also find that the finger noise is generally less noticeable when you listen through an amp, and as you progress on the bass it'll probably improve slowly anyway. But a couple of lessons will speed up the process.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1122327' date='Feb 10 2011, 09:11 AM']Might be worth finding a teacher, they'll be able to advise on the string height on your bass and also where your fingering the note, how relaxed your hand is, wrist position etc.

You'll also find that the finger noise is generally less noticeable when you listen through an amp, and as you progress on the bass it'll probably improve slowly anyway. But a couple of lessons will speed up the process.[/quote]

I was wondering whether listening through an amp and altering treble bass etc would lessen it. Going to get a cheap amp. Everything has to be cheap not because I am skint (which I am) but because its still a hobby and I cant justify to the missus spending a boat load of cash on it at the moment.

If you're after a low-profile way of getting an amp, Vox do a small headphone amp for Bass which I've used before for bedroom practising. You need headphones, but you can also plug your mp3 player in and learn by playing along to your favourite tracks (I'm guessing from your username it'll be Peaches or Hanging Around :) ). You won't sound like JJB yet, but you'll be amplified, at least. Here's a link:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/vox-amplug-bass-guitar-headphone-amp--57462"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/vox-amplug-ba...hone-amp--57462[/url]

Edited by Muzz