Why become a member? ×

Hello from Leeds

noisedude

Hello all,

New member here - my name is Nik, mid-twenties, and I'm from the wonderful garden city of Leeds (specifically the rather nice bit out on the North West corner).

I'm a bit of an all-round musician, classically trained on piano and flute with a music degree ... I then worked in the instrument retail trade for a couple of years, during which time I amassed a worrying number of six-stringers and a couple of cheap basses. I'm a school teacher now (converting to teach physics) so my cool factor has fallen through the floor.

Anyway, I've been playing bass in a couple of settings for a couple of years now - covering the ground from soft rock to ska-punk - and am ready to step up my efforts because my brain is running faster than my fingers now. So it's time to learn some techniques and ideas from some of you talented people, whilst overhauling my gear setup.

Very cool to find a UK-based forum that's actually got enough traffic to join in with - which I look forward to doing - thank you!

Nik

Cool! Lots of people near me! Hey, if you ever need to come see a terribly amateur but enthusiastic ska punk gig, get in touch. I'd give you the Myspace link but there's nothing on it at the moment pending our re-launch at the start of March.

My gear at the moment (no laughing at the back, I spent all my money on six strings and condenser mics) is:
- Ibanez SR300FM 4-string (which I have a couple of Duncan Quarter Pounders to put in)
- Backup bass - Aria Pro II SLB something or other (another P-J setup, love it)
- Laney RB9 head
- Hartke 410 Transporter cab
- Hartke VXL Bass Attack DI
- Boss Chorus
- Cheap GXL overdrive and EQ pedals

I've just bought an Ibanez DWB3 Doug Wimbish off Ebay and should be receiving that this week sometime, and am going to order a Spector Rebop 5 with a zebrawood top to try out a 5-string. But really my priority should be saving for a lightweight setup (the Hartke cab isn't too bad but I've played a Mark Bass Jeff Berlin and it made me happy).

I'm going to get learning and hopefully sorting out some new playing ideas too while I'm here.

Apologies for the terrible screen name, btw, I came by it almost a decade ago and haven't been able to come up with anything better since! :)

Nik