Why become a member? ×

Help...GAS attack!

bassjamm

Hi everyone...

Having managed to stay relatively GAS free for about a year now I've had a pretty nasty attack in the past day or so...oh dear!

I've currently got a Fender P bass, it's a USA Highway One and it's awesome, love it. Having whittled down to just this from the F Bass, Marleaux, Warwick's etc...this one is a keeper!

But I fancy something a little different and I've been taken by the following:

Epiphone Ripper
Epiphone Thunderbird (maybe even the Goth one)
Retrovibe RV4

Now I love the whole P/J thing going on with the Ripper, and it's all maple which will back some punch. The Thunderbird, it's been of interest for years due to it's darkness and mystique. And the Retrovibe, I've always loved the Rick shape, and the sound clips I've heard of these have been awesome...loads of balls.

But alas, I know not what to do.

I'm playing in a Pop Punk band at the moment, so the P fits in nicely, I'd just like something else from time to time.

Any thoughts on the above and what they would offer in comparison to one another?

I'm guessing the T-Bird will offer the most depth, and Ripper a more versitile version of what I already have, and the Retrovibe probably the most versatile and punchy...but prove me wrong! Also love the Ripper's looks and the RV4.

I've not played any of them, and likely won't be able to any time soon either...

Thanks in advance...

Jamie

Blademan_98 - May I ask what has led you to decide on the RV4?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1121683' date='Feb 9 2011, 06:32 PM']Bloody hell Jamie - where ya been? :) :)[/quote]

Staying off here to avoid GAS...I get back and within a week I want a new bass!

Ha!

How you been pal?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1122358' date='Feb 10 2011, 09:36 AM']If you're still thinking of getting a Thunderbird, just bear in mind that the Epiphone versions have little in come with the Gibson originals other than the basic shape. The woods, construction and electronics are all very different. You definitely need to try before you buy.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I've done some research and it appears that the Goth version is the only one made from mahogany which is true to the original I believe.

To be honest though, I'm not sure it's the way I want to go. The Ripper and the Retrovibe have got a lot more appeal!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1124904' date='Feb 12 2011, 01:02 PM']I think they look really good and I can't afford a real one!

I read the thread on them and feel they are value for money.[/quote]

Sound reasoning kind sir...sound indeed!

Anyway...it would appear that the quest is over! I've found a Gibson Grabber within reach...oh yes!!!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1124921' date='Feb 12 2011, 01:15 PM']Anyway...it would appear that the quest is over! I've found a Gibson Grabber within reach...oh yes!!![/quote]

That's great news :)

I sold most of my guitars to get better basses but it didn't turn out that way :)

Still, I am happy with the ones I have and will add the Retrovibe later this year!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1124934' date='Feb 12 2011, 01:27 PM']That's great news :)

I sold most of my guitars to get better basses but it didn't turn out that way :)

Still, I am happy with the ones I have and will add the Retrovibe later this year![/quote]

I'm thinking I might have a dabble with one later in the year too, they certainly offer massive appeal all things considered. The price is fair as well for a copy of that kind in my opinion, and the sound clips seem to show positive things!

It's going to be interesting keeping an eye on them that's for sure!