Why become a member? ×

Carbon Fiber Bow

gypsyjazzer

Thanks Gareth, but I have a cheap and cheerful Ebay Carbon Graphite bow. Having played some REALLY nice bows in the past when I was doing the classical thing, I am aware that things could be easier when drawing sound out of the monster.

My very limited understanding is that its to do amongst other things with balance? ... its seemingly a very
difficult thing to get a really good balance so that the bow has *just* the correct* (yet even) weight along its length
so that you are not fighting or constantly adjusting your hand/pressure to get an even balanced
sound throughout the stroke .... but I know nothing so will stand bitch slapped and corrected if needs be :)

Edited by aonindy

Bows are the nuttiest things in the world. It is a stick with hair, but a good one makes playing so much easier it is not true. A nice bow will make arco work a breeze. A cheap bow makes things beyond difficult. Bowing is the difficult part of playing the DB. The bows being discussed here are very cheap. You are looking at 4 figures for a nice bow and a minimum of 5 figures for a violin soloists bow. If is a totally different world.

[quote name='owen' post='1119646' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:36 PM']Bilbo, did you import that from the US?[/quote]

Yes. It cost £37 in duties, IIRC. So work out the cost of the bow + p+p in sterling, add £40 and that will be roughly what you will end up paying.

These bows are not expensive - you can spend £10K or even £20K on a bow!! The Finale's are (by reputation) competitive with bows worth up to £4K - the carbon fibre bows are a lot more robust and less likely to get broken than wooden ones and also don't react to atmospheric extremes. I like mine and I like the sound I get with it but I am an arco beginner so what would I know :)

I've got a Finale too and it is amazing for the money (about £300 all in and that includes a case). Nice weight, great balance, draws sound really easily. I'd recommend them to anyone.

However, whilst it does punch well above weight, there's no way I'd compare to it an expensive wooden bow. Machine made carbon just doesn't sound anything like the finest quality pernambuco hand carved by a master craftsman. I would like to try an Arcus bow someday to see how they compare though.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='1122992' date='Feb 10 2011, 06:30 PM']I would like to try an Arcus bow someday to see how they compare though.[/quote]

I tried the Arcus Sinfonia for a week, It's a 4\4 sized bow which I didn't like. However it is paper light and pulls a huge dark sound with a strange 'sizzle' on my bass. I can see it being attractive to lots of players. Just not this one. I ended choosing a D Muniz wood bow instead.