Why become a member? ×

I quit my band last night

4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1115558' date='Feb 4 2011, 04:31 PM']Funny you should say that.... The only reason I bought The MAG 600 was cos I needed to be really loud to keep up with 2 idiot guitards.... The 220 may be brought out of retirement and one of the MAG heads will be surplus to requirements, along with a green Yamaha BBG-4A....[/quote]

Every Cloud............................

Going through the same thing myself at the mo.

Band splintered last year, leaving me and the guitarist.

I worked my bits off getting new people in, even 2 replacement drummers.

Only one to book any gigs has been me! I got us in the paper, on the radio, really put the effort in.

Now we're at the stage when we are regularly being referred to as the guitarists 'group', even though their effort has been nil!

We had a big band meeting a few months back - the drummer, who I don't really care for, made a point of taking minutes (!) - trouble is, everything that was decided, they all ignored!

I could go on all day, we've all been throught this. Currently getting ready to advertise to get something new on the go - just want reliable people!

Worse thing is, our guitarist is unemployed....but gets up everyday about 3pm, and then complains that by that time it's too late to ring any venues.....! I ad to cancel gigs before when I booked them (all were free), only to be told 'oh yeah...can't do that after all....'GRRRRR!!!

i've played with the same small bunch of people forever. we've had our ups and downs. sometimes one of us (me) will halt proceedings if things get stale. if you grow up with musician/friends, thats the best thing in the world. i can't imagine starting a band with people i don't know too well, and if they were arses, my gut would tell me straight away, and i wouldn't turn up twice.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1116527' date='Feb 5 2011, 01:51 PM']i've played with the same small bunch of people forever. we've had our ups and downs. sometimes one of us (me) will halt proceedings if things get stale. if you grow up with musician/friends, thats the best thing in the world. i can't imagine starting a band with people i don't know too well, and if they were arses, my gut would tell me straight away, and i wouldn't turn up twice.[/quote]

Not sure about this, my mate is a brilliant guitarist, we've been mates for over 40 years (we met at infant school) I've tried to be in bands with him many times over the years. It never works, we like the same music, obviously get on well, and are great friends, but just cannot play together! He frustrates the hell out of me, cos he has so much talent yet so little ambition.....

I like starting bands with people I don't know, cos they usually behave themselves for a year or two at least, before they turn out to be total ar*es.... If they seem like an ar*e at an audition/first rehearsal, they don't get the job!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1116554' date='Feb 5 2011, 02:14 PM']Not sure about this, my mate is a brilliant guitarist, we've been mates for over 40 years (we met at infant school) I've tried to be in bands with him many times over the years. It never works, we like the same music, obviously get on well, and are great friends, but just cannot play together! He frustrates the hell out of me, cos he has so much talent yet so little ambition.....

I like starting bands with people I don't know, cos they usually behave themselves for a year or two at least, before they turn out to be total ar*es.... If they seem like an ar*e at an audition/first rehearsal, they don't get the job![/quote]
no, i just mean i was lucky to have such people around who were on the same level. a band for life!