Why become a member? ×

Tascam Trainers

Bass-ic

Ah, im so new to all of this so sorrry if this is alreday being discussed else where. Im thinking that the MP3 version is better than the Cd but am not siure how to convert windows media music files to MP3. At present they are the wma files. Suggestions please.
Also, just a general question, how muc better is the MP3 version, is it wort he extra cash?
Cheers.

I have the guitar version of the MP3 trainer as it was available before the bass one came out. I never bother with the fx anyway, so I'm very pleased with it. The only gotcha with it is that is is a bit fussy about the format of the mp3 files, but if I make them 128k @44.1 its happy.

I tend to use ogg files on my iriver & samsung players, so if I need to convert the files I tend to use nero, but for converting from wma I think you can use windows media player, but there's also a handy article here:
[url="http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_media/20071109_how_to_convert_wma_to_mp3.html"]http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_media...wma_to_mp3.html[/url]

I find the size of the mp3 trainer very handy - much more convenient to use than the CD trainer and being able to recharge the battery over usb is great. It would be much better if it could handle muliple playlists, more formats (such as wma/ogg) and maybe a colour screen with a more intuitive UI, but apart from those minor niggles I don't think I'd be able to find a device that I like so much for learning / practicing.

Hey! Welcome to Basschat!

If you have Windows Media Player on your PC then you should not have any problems as it does it for you.

I have the CD version, I also love buying new gaggets and toys but can't see what I'd gain by getting the MP3 version.

CDR's are so cheap anyway.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='127664' date='Jan 25 2008, 12:15 PM']ah, right !
many thanks for the link and the help. I think that probably the size and weight may swing it for me, plus you dont get to carry Cds about. i tend to lose them!
Cheers
Matt[/quote]

I've had the CD BT1Mk2 and now own the MP3 version.

The MP3 version is far superior effects wise, only downside is the fiddly on off switch (or I might just have a dud).

The inbuilt battery lasts a lot longer than AA batteries in the CD version too.

Edited by Jamesemt

Another (and free) alternative if you're practicing along with your PC/laptop is [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/"]BestPractice[/url] software.

You can open tracks from either MP3 or directly from CD.

You can change speed, pitch, etc., and create loops of any length within the track.

Great piece of software for me.

Hi Absolute-Beginner, ;)
Santa brought me the Mp3 version of the Tascam bass trainer this Christmas, and I have to say I've found it great , from playing along to the metronome, to slowing down difficult passages to learn, with the loop function and FX its almost made my little practice amp redundant.

If you're having trouble converting Mp3s from WMA (which can be done relatively easily with the right freebie software on your Window OS) as an alternative why don't you download a free version of iTunes for Windows ? When you import CDs or your current WMA files , set the iTunes import setttings to MP3. There's even a function to convert all (or a selected number) of your files to Mp3 format in one click.... ;)

When this is done, just 'drag and drop' your chosen file from your iTunes library into the Tascam 'Music' folder and an Mp3 copy will appear.

I'm a MAC user so iTunes has become my player of choice,...... If you decide to go down this route and you need some help ,then shout up!!. :)

This is not a opportunist plug, but I currently have 2 of these units. [b]Duplicate xmas presents! [/b]One unopened, fresh in the box.I was planning to advertise this on this site in the next week or so(when I get the time) but If you want to grab yourself a bargain, and you fancy the Tascam Mp3 bass trainer, send me a PM. :huh:

Dazz

I've also got the CD version of the bass trainer. It's a great practise aid and as perry says CDRs are so cheap, I just burn whatever I want to learn onto one.

The big downside of the CD version though is that it eats batteries. I only get about 3 hours playing time out of a set of high capacity re-chargables and having to constantly take the batteries out and re-charge them is a real pain.

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='128141' date='Jan 26 2008, 09:02 AM']I've also got the CD version of the bass trainer. It's a great practise aid and as perry says CDRs are so cheap, I just burn whatever I want to learn onto one.

The big downside of the CD version though is that it eats batteries. I only get about 3 hours playing time out of a set of high capacity re-chargables and having to constantly take the batteries out and re-charge them is a real pain.[/quote]

I have the CD version and its great, Regarding the batteries get yourself a power supply for about a tenner. One of those multi ended ones should work and you will save hassle in the long run.

Steve

The Mp3 version has a rechargeable cell inside which takes charge directly from your PC/laptop via a USB cable provided.
A fully charged unit lasts me 6-7 hours constant use....about the same as an iPod
The Tascam doesn't come with an AC/mains cord, but one can be bought as an add-on.

Dazz :)

I recently bought the MP3 version, having previously used the CD version.

Both are really useful. On balance I prefer the MP3 version simply as its so conveninet to use. Smaller and more portable, and as others have said, the rechargable battery is a big plus over the CD version, which eats batteries.