Why become a member? ×

CMI Rick copy. Feb '76. Sold on Preloved.

karlfer

New photo's added in post # 12.

FREE (tatty) hardcase now included if posted. UK delivery only. £330 including insured postage. Finances need to clear before bass is posted.
£300 Collected from Wigan, in gigbag.

CMI Rick copy, Feb 1976.
I got this a couple of weeks before christmas for £285 plus delivery. That was a bargain. Gig bag included.
I had been looking out for a bolt neck as you can do something about action etc, unlike neck through.
I have since had it taken to pieces, shimmed, set up, tuner problem sorted. It now sports a black TRC with RickenFaker on it, as well as a black scratchplate. Original scratchplate and TRC included in the sale.
It has a new set of Status flat wound 40-100's. Action is much better than when I got it.
It has a lot of little chips, dings etc, it's lived some of it's 35 years.

Reason for sale is I need a 2nd Orange SP212, my other 3 basses are workhorses, this is a lovely luxury.
Yes, it does sound a lot like a standard Rick, but remember the classic sounds of Squires/Lee were a lot more than just the bass :) .

I live in Wigan, I will meet up to 70 miles from Wigan. Sorry, as ever, photo's crap as it's just a phone. Edited to remove really crap photo's of black 'plate/TRC, will try to get better ones done.
Any trial if you want to come round, any questions please just mail me.
Cheers, Karl.
Original FeeBay ad;
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160520117453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Hopefully my feedback;
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75604&hl=karlfer"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=karlfer[/url]

Edited by karlfer

If you don't mind me saying Karl, the fact you're asking £70 more than you paid, and aren't willing to post to BCers isn't doing you any favours.

It's a nice bass but the through-neck copies tend to be more popular.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1113556' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:20 AM']If you don't mind me saying Karl, the fact you're asking £70 more than you paid, and aren't willing to post to BCers isn't doing you any favours.

It's a nice bass but the through-neck copies tend to be more popular.

Jon.[/quote]

Jon, I will always be grateful for any of your comments. Your knowledge on these things is legendary, your opinions highly respected. You have given me great advice in the past. And your'e a progger :lol: .

I am now including a tatty but usable hard case, and free insured delivery for £330. With the work that's been done on it , that is a very reasonable price now IMO.

As with all pricing issues, the market will ultimately decide.
BassChat is phenominal for many reasons, especially advice/knowledge. It's also become the place to sell basses now, very much an honourable (BIG) bunch of folk.
I got the bass "relatively" cheap at a bad selling time of the year. I have spent well over £70 on setting up, custom black scratchplate and printed TRC.
I am also including a round trip of up to 140 miles to personally deliver at no further charge.
If I could get a box I would be happy to post, insured, to a BassChatter at their cost. I would always prefer to deal with a Basschatter.
I will try to get to Halfords see if I can ponce something suitable.
Regarding through neck, yup, they are the kiddies but I decided on bolt on because I reckoned my limited skills could solve any action/board lift/bridge issues.
With a through neck, routing out the body to drop the bridge/action on a badly bought bass, would result in messy firewood, as DIY is Destroy It Yourself in my case :D .

Lloyd, cheers bud, 1st gig with the mini rig this Sat, looking forward to winding the lads up :) .

Tom, don't you go getting that there controversial young fella me lad :) .

Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ialma' post='1140375' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:22 PM']laminated body ?[/quote]

Yes, but not ply.
Jon (Bassassin) calls it "Butchers Block" , I think.
It appears to have a facing of about a quarter of an inch, then solid wood beneath that.

If anybody has one of those earlier, passive, Mexican Precision Deluxes that have P and J pick ups, I would both swap and meet, if they were of a mind.
That would mean my '75 Japanese, non-export Jazz (in my avatar) would be coming up for sale :) .
I really need just 3 basses suitable for the gigs I do.
I really want (not need) a second SP212.
Thanks for the question,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

Bump.
It's from 1976, it's very well made, it's a very good likeness to the real thing. More so than most modern Rickenfakers.
It's unlikely (but slightly possible) to be worth any less in the future
£330 delivered by Parcel Farce
£300 collected from Wigan.

I need a second SP212, please save me from FEEBay :) .
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1142892' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:24 PM']what's the action like and is the neck straight? I am missing my old CMI Rick copy![/quote]

Action fine although a little higher than my Fenders, as I only use a pick on Rick style basses.
Neck also fine.
Have gigged this a few times since I got it, using it for Diamond Head/Metallica's Am I Evil. Oh yes, it can growl :) .
Further PM's replied to, thanks for the interest, but still here.
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='1143432' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:47 PM']Action fine although a little higher than my Fenders, as I only use a pick on Rick style basses.
Neck also fine.
Have gigged this a few times since I got it, using it for Diamond Head/Metallica's Am I Evil. Oh yes, it can growl :) .
Further PM's replied to, thanks for the interest, but still here.
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]

i have a Sunn Mustang P-bass i would trade plus cash if you would be intersted in that?

• 2 weeks later...

£300 collected
£330 delivered in tatty but perfectly usable hard case.

Will trade for Highway 1 (or One) Precision, + £50 cash your way.
If it survives, finishes on t'bay on Tues. Loads of watchers, no bids.
If nothing changes between now and Tuesday, will just put it away for a couple of years.
It's very unlikely to go down in value and it certainly looks more like a Rick than most modern 'Fakers.
Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer