Why become a member? ×

Lefty '75 Fender Precision

yorick

I'm no Fender expert. Could someone cast their eyes over this and tell me if it's genuine. Seems a bit clean to me....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar-Left-Handed-Lefty-/220731615717?pt=Guitar&hash=item3364a129e5"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-Fender-Precisio...=item3364a129e5[/url]

Might be in the wrong forum!!!!

[quote name='yorick' post='1111123' date='Feb 1 2011, 03:25 PM']Cheers.... It's the condition/colour of the fretboard that clicked with me. A bit too clean/pale.[/quote]

I thought that at first, but WoT's right re the headstock, and I'm guessing that the very pale board is the result of not much play (or it's been in it's case for much of its life). Having said all that, I'd still be very cautious buying from a US dealer who doesn't offer a return policy. Do your homework on who they are beyond their ebay account (there's quite a few US guys who present themselves on ebay as dealers/experts in vintage instruments, but who are in reality more like Cash Converters). There's a few guys on BC who have good and reliable contacts in the US, so if you're after a specific bass (i.e., lefty vintage Precision), that might be a safer route?

Good luck

C

I don't think its a 75 though with a 619... S/Nr.

I have mine down as 1976 and its S/Nr is 599...

I've seen this a few times on ebay. Ppl claiming 75 a lot when they're later.

Ask them to confirm the date on the Fender site.

Apart from that, its a good lookin bass.

I spose the whole S/N thing is a bit of a grey area. If a unit was put together week 1 in Jan it will made of parts mfg'd the previous year but when it leaves the plant in week 2 its S/N will be of that year(the year its shipped)
It also depends on how many parts Fender bought/made at any one time.

I really think a seller should go by the S/N and what year that relates to.

I posed this question to a lad on ebay a few months back. He was selling 2 x 75's. Both S/N's were 76 and I asked him about this.
Didn't bother his arse replying but changed his ad's the next day. (I hope he's not on here) :)

I'd would like to know the diff between the pickguard's years as I gen don't know. Mine is 3 laminate Blk,white,Blk.

Looks good to me - I've a well gigged sunburst '76 lefty P s/n 641...

That almost could have been my bass without 30+ years of abuse - and I've also got the 'period correct' scratchplate/jack socket damage !

If you're thinking about buying it - it's gonna be quite heavy, but it'll be well worth it - plays and sounds brilliant, mine is a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...