Why become a member? ×

Any Status Graphite Electro owners?

BassBus

Ahhh, the old Status Electro..

I had a Mk 1 fretless five (now owned by BigBeatNut of these parts I believe) for quite some time. It was (is) a lovely instrument capable of a uniquely Eberhard Weber ish tone. Had a lovely slim neck and bugger all weight. Only thing I didn't like was the red veneer accent line between the body and the top – made it look a bit toy-like somehow. I've not played any of the later Electros, but I miss that Mk 1.

Phil

[quote name='BassBus' post='1108890' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:32 PM']Thanks for your thoughts Phil.

Rich, OTPJ did appear once recently on the Status thread but has disappeared again.[/quote]

Yup, he pops into BC and Statii every now and again but rarely posts.

Thought I'd mention it in case you were still in touch.

I had one for a while, quite an early one I seem to remember. Nice enough but didn't really blow me away and I sold it soon afterwards.

In fat, OTPJ came round to try it and decided he didn't want one after all :)

I now have a Godin which I much prefer. These rarely come up for sale but I know there's a 5 string up for grabs at BassGear (because that's the one that inspired me to look for a 4 string equivalent!). [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/godin-a5-electro-acoustic-5-string-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...ring-pre-owned/[/url]

I've already earmarked an Electro for my future foray into the world of fretless, so it's interesting to read other people's comments on the Electro. It does appear to be the Status bass that time forgot.

For what it's worth, Rob is in the middle of updating the Electro, although it's currently on hold due to the volume of orders that they're getting through.

Mark

[quote name='molan' post='1109053' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:06 AM']I had one for a while, quite an early one I seem to remember. Nice enough but didn't really blow me away and I sold it soon afterwards.

In fat, OTPJ came round to try it and decided he didn't want one after all :)

I now have a Godin which I much prefer. These rarely come up for sale but I know there's a 5 string up for grabs at BassGear (because that's the one that inspired me to look for a 4 string equivalent!). [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/godin-a5-electro-acoustic-5-string-pre-owned/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...ring-pre-owned/[/url][/quote]
What did you find were the differences between the two basses? How did sound compare? I believe the Godin has a narrower nut than the Electro.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='philw' post='1108805' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:25 PM']I had a Mk 1 fretless five (now owned by BigBeatNut of these parts I believe) for quite some time. It was (is) a lovely instrument ...[/quote]
Still is lovely ... I still have it. Here is one of Phil's pics (I hope he doesn't mind)

Now strung with status black tapewounds.

Have to say that it's now second in my affections to the Rob Allen Deep 5, but I still couldn't see myself parting with it.

Andy

The deep 5 is ...deeper, more rounded, more organic than the electro. They're both capable of an uprighty kind of vibe, but I think of the electro as doing the 'stringy' side of that, and the deep 5 is fuller, fatter.

The deep 5 has a fatter neck too. Spacing is about the same ...I think 5er Statuses are 18mm and I think the RA is 19mm .. but they feel pretty much identical in spacing so I could be wrong.

The RA is not adjustable action-wise. You could get a new saddle cut, and you could tweak the truss rod, but Rob advises (via the booklet) that they're already set up optimally low without compromising the sound ... and that is sort of medium, definitely not low.

The Electro has the same constraints on the bridge but I have tweaked the action a bit lower (via truss-rod) on that. In fact, I had to fiddle with the truss rod, it's quite sensitive to changes in tension from different kinds of strings. That goes with the slim neck I guess.

More on the RA [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=31111&view=findpost&p=323095"]here[/url].

Guess I didn't say much about the electro ... is that enough for you ?

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1130445' date='Feb 16 2011, 11:36 PM']Still is lovely ... I still have it. Here is one of Phil's pics (I hope he doesn't mind)

Now strung with status black tapewounds.

Have to say that it's now second in my affections to the Rob Allen Deep 5, but I still couldn't see myself parting with it.

Andy[/quote]

Awww my old Electro! Had one of the most comfortable five string necks I've ever played and, as I think I wrote somewhere else, was capable of a decidedly Eberhard Weber EUB kind of tone. Very different from the Veillette and Rob Allen tone which in my experience is much warmer and thumpier (more DB like).

Invoice in the post for use of the photo Andy :)

Phil

[quote name='BassBus' post='1130977' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:23 PM']Thanks for the comments Andy and Phil. It's good to get a comparison between these instruments from those who own them. Good to have the Veillette mentioned as well. Is that the Archtop you have Phil?[/quote]

It's a Veillette Paris I have at the moment (the blue one in my avatar), but as the UK rep, my "demo" model tends to rotate. Probably going to move the blue bass on in the next six months or so and get a Concorde. Walbassist (Gareth) of these parts has an Archtop fretless five.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='1131331' date='Feb 17 2011, 05:54 PM']It's a Veillette Paris I have at the moment (the blue one in my avatar), but as the UK rep, my "demo" model tends to rotate. Probably going to move the blue bass on in the next six months or so and get a Concorde. Walbassist (Gareth) of these parts has an Archtop fretless five.

Phil[/quote]
Yeh, I've seen his youtube clips. Pretty splendid sound. So is his BSX.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBus' post='1131461' date='Feb 17 2011, 07:49 PM']Yeh, I've seen his youtube clips. Pretty splendid sound. So is his BSX.[/quote]

If this was Facebook I'd put a big fat "Like" thumbs up here, but it isn't, so I'll put :) instead!

Edited by walbassist