Why become a member? ×

axe log 4 maybe?

lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1106630' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:30 PM']yea. it'll be interested to see if ben feels like winding 16 seperate coils on the wal style humbuckers. :)[/quote]

:)

Good luck - there's a long thread about that on TB...
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432803"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432803[/url]

[quote name='yorick' post='1106643' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:45 PM']OOOOOH OOOOH, consider my interest piqued!!! Any idea of a rough cost? I'm a lefty as well, if that makes a difference.

Nige[/quote]
hey nige. this guys looking at about £600 with all the extra pickups, hipshot supertone bridge, string retainer and all that stuff. 50% deposit to get the bass built. birdsey maple top and laminated neck. i'm looking forward to it, i must say.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='yorick' post='1145581' date='Mar 1 2011, 11:50 AM']Any updates on this one?[/quote]
i've got the templates ready, and the go ahead from i.m.p for doing some special wal type coil winding. just waiting for the go ahead. could be a while as the guy who ordered is having band trouble as far as i know. may fall by the way as it's been a while.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1147271' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:51 PM']I see you have the pickups covered, but what are you planning to do about the other important bespoke Wal parts namely the pre-amp and the bridge?[/quote]

SGD are in the process of making a pre-amp to the same specs - big thread here >http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/won-wal-pickup-ebay-432803/index7.html Failing that, the ACG02 gets pretty close I am told.

And as for the bridge, the hipshot supertone is as close as I can find!> [attachment=73703:vault_ha...upertone.jpg]

I love the look of the Wal, but I just can never see myself affording the price tag, hence why I looked into a clone,mainly for looks,butIf we can come close on tone, then thats a bonus, as I am happy with my tone with my Dean and the pedals I use.

The woods are the same, so..........it should be close!

As I say for me first its the look of the thing!

Interesting stuff!

As regards the ACG02 pre-amp, the filter is great. However for me the real flexibility of the Wal pre-amp is the fact that it has a separate filter for each pickup, whereas the ACG02 just has a single filter that both pickups go through. ACG do a pre-amp with individual filters but these days the only way you can get one is to buy an ACG bass.