Why become a member? ×

Digitech Whammy 4 Problems

matt_citizenbass

I got a (secondhand) whammy for xmas.

It keeps cutting out and then starts working again at it's own leisure which proved really bloody annoying when it comes that part of your set when you need to use it and it just doesn't turn on...

The problems seems to become more frequent since I first got it.

Do you think it's the power supply or the actual pedal itself?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1104783' date='Jan 27 2011, 09:34 AM']When you say it's cutting out, do you mean it keeps turning off? You can tell by the power light. If it's not turning off, there's no reason to think it would be the PSU.

Is it related to movement at all IE does this happen when you're rocking the whammy?[/quote]

^What he sayd plus is your input/output jacks (both the cable and pedal) in good condition? In many pedals if you unplug the jack the power gets shutted out.

Get a good tech to have a look at it or you can always sell me that faulty pedal for £20 and get rid of the trouble! :)

I definitely need it- sorry guys :)

It doesn't turn off when I rock the thingy because I don't get the chance because it won't turn on in the first place. I think it might be the PSU just because it's so intermittent and works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

its not a dodgy input lead because i've tried it with other leads, it's not the power input either because when it has worked i can move that around at all angles and its fine.

so aggravating when equipment doesn't work properly!

So sometimes you set it up and it's fine, others it just doesn't turn on? That's a weird one. When it wont work, does the PSU get warm? I suppose it's worth trying another PSU. You might have a mate or a local shop with one, but then if it's such an intermittent fault it might work for half an hour in the shop, and then stop working at home with your new PSU.

Could be the foot switch. Mine had a funny one when I got it. It worked perfectly, then all of a sudden it seemed as though it wouldn't go on or off. Having to press the foot switch 4 or 5 times for the pedal to engage. Obviously I knew there was power to it as the mode selector light was on still… If that doesn't illuminate as well then you can ignore everything I've just said :)

OK. Update.

I bought a new PSU and it's still doing exact same thing (damn)

I've taken it out of the casing and there are no apparent loose solder / burnt out components.

There's a little light on the electronic board that is lit the whole time the PSU is plugged in which i assume means that it's receiving power. When i plug the PSU in the lightboard flashes and then instantly goes out. So it basically must be a component some time after the power input.

Could anyone offer any help? Does anyone know any effects pedal repairmen?

Here's what it looks like:

I opened a WH4 before, I thought it was a mightmare to get the board out!

If you can't see any dry joints or broken contacts, well, that's as far as my knowledge goes. SFX repairs pedals, and there are a couple of other guys on here. Hopefully they'll see your post!

I haven't got a the time to fiddle around with it. My Korg tuner has gone as well.

if anyone did actually want it for £50 i'll throw in the tuner as well!

Could be something really easy to fix but I have intense band practices for our trip to america starting this sunday and i need a whammy for it.

DM me if you're interested x