Why become a member? ×

Do I Keep My Me6b Or Make The Move To The Me50

Raslee

Well this new world of effects is proving to be quite an adventure so far.

I've got an old school classic Boss ME6B which i bought off here recently and i must say i'm really impressed with the sounds for the things i would like to try, namely the synth sounds/filters etc. Anyway my dilemma is i am getting drawn towards an ME50B due to having access to the dials easily for changing parameters on the fly, also it has a buitl in expression pedal unlike the ME6B.....if i keep the ME6B then i will soon buy a new expression pedal which is halfway to the price of an ME50 ish (not many exp. pedals for sale here unfortunately), plus if i get a ME50B i'll have to sell the ME6B (wife bass politics).

I've read mixed reviews of the synths on both models but in general the synths seems to be better on the ME6B. The ME50B has more options to use and seems a better tool for live. I intend on mixing the synth sounds with my main bass sound via something similar to a Boss LS2 and controlling the synth via a expression pedal and also a seperate volume pedal that i have. I play mainly dub reggae and a bit of prog; the reggae that i am jamming at the moment is mainly electronic and has modern uk roots dance vibe, similar to this vibe ish:

(i think this is played synth and seperate bass but would like to try similar live)

Any opinions ?

Edited by Rasta

Maybe a standalone synth pedal would be more appropriate? If you're only using synth sounds, and you're still not happy (you want a blender) then it could be the best bet.

The ME50B (I think) has a reputation for small silent gaps when switching patches, but if you use it in "stomp box mode" it'll be fine.

I used to own a boss SY synth stomp box, tbh i never used it a lot because i thought the tracking and sounds were limited although i'd love to try the Markbass or Moog synth...but somewhat out my pricing. Thats interesting what you said about the ME50B drop outs, someone else mentioned that when i was reading up.

Around the time the ME50B was first introduced, I too owned an ME6B but thought I'd try the new boy & see what it was like in comparison. I thought it was rubbish. [i]Very[/i] noticeable gaps when changing patches. Crap synths, but about 500 different types of overdrive/distortion.
I stuck with my 6B. Sold it a couple of years later, wish I hadn't.

The patch switching latency exists in most all multi-effects pedals, however in a band mix it is normally not a cause for concern unless if it is particularly prevalent. As said above however, in stomp box mode it's fine, so if it bothers you that much there is a way around it. Or of course you could go down the addictive and expensive route of single stomp boxes...