Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wizard Thumper. Anyone Have Trouble Fitting One?

dave_bass5

Ive posted a few times about having to file down my Squier CV P pick guard to get my Thumper fitted. I put it down to the Squier PG not being standard.
Ive just received a Standard PG and im finding the same thing. The Thumper is too large for the cut out.

Im just wondering if anyone else has found this. It could well be both PG's are slightly undersized but i doubt it.

This is about 2mm longer so theres no chance of easing it in. Its more the screw lugs rather than the main body, alothugh it is still slightly longer.

I think im going to try a different pup first. I know thats not the cheapest route but i dont want to keep filing these things down.

The only real experience ive had with this sort of thing was with Changing the PG's o nmy 2 Duck Dunns and changin gthe Hanson for a Fralin in my last one. No issues at all.

It's a shame that despite the design being standardised, the dimensions aren't! I fitted a Kent Armstrong (Korean not handmade) precision into an Ibanez last year. I'd bought the pickup and it arrived the day I needed it so I didn't have much time to sort it out. I'd also bought a pair of 'closed' P-covers just as an aesthetic thing on the assumption that it was a p bass cover - it had to fit! No such luck. The KA was too big for the covers I'd bought, yet it slotted perfectly into the stock Ibanez P-cover, which had holes for the polepieces - all lined up perfectly! Still have those covers chucked in a box somewhere, but i doubt there's any point selling them!

I got the vernier out again and we have length wise

Fralin 66.7
Lollar 65.3
MIM 65.2
EMG 65.6
Thumper 66.8

What you could do is to nut a new set of Fender covers as the cover is not fixed to the pick up, so perhaps a genuine fender cover would fit without filing

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-FENDER-PRECISION-P-BASS-BLACK-PICKUP-COVERS-/140501633781?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20b68ccaf5"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-FENDER-PRECI...=item20b68ccaf5[/url]

£5 from the states or I think I got one a while ago from Oasis in ringwood

[quote name='bumnote' post='1098774' date='Jan 22 2011, 04:03 PM']What you could do is to nut a new set of Fender covers as the cover is not fixed to the pick up, so perhaps a genuine fender cover would fit without filing

£5 from the states or I think I got one a while ago from Oasis in ringwood[/quote]

I'm not sure that would work. I still have the Squier pups that fit but the coils from the Thumper wont fit the cover. Plus, Andy has already told me that these are standard Fender cases (size wise) so i think I'm stuck unless i do some filing.

I did have another go today but its too much hassle.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1099789' date='Jan 23 2011, 04:28 PM']I'm not sure that would work. I still have the Squier pups that fit but the coils from the Thumper wont fit the cover. Plus, Andy has already told me that these are standard Fender cases (size wise) so i think I'm stuck unless i do some filing.

I did have another go today but its too much hassle.[/quote]

I have a pickup from a cij bass with covers that are 65.7 long and 27.5 wide ie smaller tolerance

Pm me your address and I will send them to you
If it sorts the problem, send me the ones from the thumper, if it doesnt send em back

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1100225' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:20 PM']2mm sounds like it might be a bit much but I had success sanding down the pickup casing when in a similar situation on a jazz set. Would that be an alternative?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. As an example if i hook the PG over one end of one half of the pup, it covers part of the opposite screw hole, as well as the edge of the case.

Another idea i had was to file down the lip around the coil. I figured this might help me squeeze it in to a smaller cover but it all seems like a lot of effort.

Thanks anyway.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1100259' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:54 PM']Unfortunately not. As an example if i hook the PG over one end of one half of the pup, it covers part of the opposite screw hole, as well as the edge of the case.

Another idea i had was to file down the lip around the coil. I figured this might help me squeeze it in to a smaller cover but it all seems like a lot of effort.

Thanks anyway.[/quote]

And the risk you are getting a bit near the delicate bits

[quote name='bumnote' post='1100265' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:02 PM']And the risk you are getting a bit near the delicate bits[/quote]

Yeah, one slip and i could write off the pup.

To be honest if this bass was in a colour i liked i would make sure i sorted this out, but all this to get a black PG on to a bass im not really in love with (colour wise only) is a bit too much hassle.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1100278' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:14 PM']Yeah, one slip and i could write off the pup.

To be honest if this bass was in a colour i liked i would make sure i sorted this out, but all this to get a black PG on to a bass im not really in love with (colour wise only) is a bit too much hassle.[/quote]

I used to be very sceptical about pickup changes but the thumper made a real difference to my bass, far more than I thought it would

[quote name='bumnote' post='1100286' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:25 PM']I used to be very sceptical about pickup changes but the thumper made a real difference to my bass, far more than I thought it would[/quote]

Same here. Ive been very impressed with the Wizard pups. I al so have some in my HW-one Jazz.

[quote name='OmeDunk' post='1107825' date='Jan 30 2011, 04:16 AM']And?
Did you managed to get the Thumper in?[/quote]

I gave up.

This thread is more about me getting a new PG on rather than putting a Thumper in my Bass. The Thumper is already on the bass, along with the original PG that needed a lot of filing. Im going to give up on replacing the PG for now and live with the original one.