Why become a member? ×

Recommend Me Some Simple Jazz Classics

morsefull

[quote name='morsefull' post='1104568' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:39 PM']I've learnt "So what" and "Maiden voyage", with a walking bass line for most of the former (obviously :) ) and eyes closed and concentrate on the rhythm for Maiden voyage. Both very fullfilling.

Found a liking for Bill evans on spotify tonight as well.[/quote]
Four words... Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (or NHOP for short)

[quote name='morsefull' post='1104568' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:39 PM']Found a liking for Bill evans on spotify tonight as well.[/quote]

Excellent choice. I think he's probably my favourite jazz pianist. But sometimes it's Erroll Garner. Or Duke Ellington. Mostly, though, it's Bill.

[quote name='morsefull' post='1104120' date='Jan 26 2011, 06:07 PM']Well,
I must admit it. Even though i didn't think it would happen........................................................
..................................................................... it seems........... i'm starting to.............................
rather... um.... like................................................................................................
.......................... jazz :)

Is this normal??

I've only learnt 2 songs.[/quote]

Invest the time in Jazz and it will reward you ten fold and for the rest of your life.

That's no age for a jazzer - Stephane Grapelli was still playing at 89, Milt 'The Judge' Hinton at 90, Eubie Blake was 96!!

Blake's greatest contribution was this quote! 'If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself”.

[quote name='morsefull' post='1105235' date='Jan 27 2011, 04:46 PM']I'm 50 now :lol:

Could i be having a late midlife crisis?[/quote]

Ermmmm,
I started at 61. Saw an ad for a Jazz outfit looking for a Bass Player and thought, "why not", never done it so lets give it a try.
Turns out they are really good players and when I mentioned I didn't think I was up to it, they wouldn't let me go. :)
Am now in 2 Jazz Bands as well as the function band.
I have found it has taken me so far out of my comfort zone I am loving it.
Would now prefer a Jazz Gig to a Function now. :)

[quote name='morsefull' post='1106519' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:59 PM']Is this a good time to admit that I got introduced to Art Blakey at the Birmingham Jazz festival and didn't know who he was ??[/quote]

I can't say anything.....I've met a few pop 'stars' and didn't know who they were until I saw them on telly a few days later.

Off topic but kind of relative,but my Dad once owned Art Blakeys kit. It was lovely,but it got nicked after a gig.