R tail piece - 155 - ebay us
Pickguard - 40 - Pickguardian us
Bridge - 15 - ebay us
Wireloom - 135 - ebay uk
Buttons - 35 - ebay uk
Custom work - 600 - Deadlight designs uk
Bits and bobs - 95 - P&P screws etc...

Dancing around in front of the mirror pretending to be Mani.... priceless

Needs some work still. The action is a little high, and there is some slight fret buzzing. I found out after the build was complete that the truss rod is probably busted, but the neck is nearly straight all bar a wee wobble. I'm thinking heavier gauge strings and a pro setup will smooth out the rough edges.

I was thinking about changing the bridge, but I'm going to let the wallet cool off for a while before I continue.

I've just ordered a Hiscox case to keep it safe.

Deadlight Designs what can I say..... awesome.

Next stop custom Rickenbacker 3000.

Edited by Kiwi
Headstock is a potential trademark infringement.

The Build idea...

Thought about buying that beat up old Rickenbacker 4005 in t*rd brown on ebay for £2300.

Thought about buying a reproduction (fake) from the US that was on ebay for £2000, in fireglow (looked amazing).

Thought about buying an italia rimini bass and cutting into the body to make a Rickenfaker.

...Eventually decided upon buying a quality Rickenfaker through neck and chopping off the neck and building new wings.
After I'd bought the donor bass, I was about to take a bandsaw to a perfectly good bass when I got scared and then decided to find a professional luthier.

Whilst all this was going on I was scouring the internet buying bits and bobs over the course of the year, so apart from the big expenses I didn't feel the hurt in my wallet too much.

Here are some build photo's...

Chop!

What a cool build thread. Considering the broken truss rod and the body, hardware, pickups etc. left over from the donor bass I'm just wondering whether you looked into having an entire replica made? Considering most luthiers don't bat an eyelid when asked for a carbon copy of a Precision or Jazz I would have thought you'd have found one or two who would have copied a Rick.

By the way, if your donor truss rod is the same as a real Rick it should be fairly simple to get a new one in.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Back in 2006 I decided to start work on a 4005 copy. I scoured ebay for parts I could use and even managed to pick up a genuine RIC fretboard that apparently came off of one of Bruce Foxton's old 4001 basses. I didn't get too far and sold most of the hardware I'd accumulated when I sold up and move to the US. 6 years later and half a world away I found the body blank in the basement and restarted to project. You can view the progress here...

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/rickenbacker-4005-copy-283322/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/rickenbacker-4005-copy-283322/[/url]

as you can see, it's getting close to completion and really just needs a bit of finishing and painting.

Hi Legoheads,
yes I followed your build thread wayback when...It was the inspiration for my own attempt (along with another chaps). I even tried to contact you and offer to buy the parts when your build stalled.

But, I'm glad to see that you're back on it, awesome work, very impressive.

I guess you didn't make heaton park? (bit far to go I suppose). Needless to say this bass has seen lots of action since the roses annouced their resurrection.

I'm planning on pimping an Epiphone JC & a Rick 3000 next...

Keep up the good work dude...

Edited by watton_earth

Sterling effort on this guitar. Love the designs you had in mind, especially the pickguard to went with. When I first saw the photo during a recent image search (that eventually lead me to this thread) my initial reaction was, what a cool special edition RIC made. Then I realised it was custom design job but still assumed it to be an original 4005.

Yeah, Heaton Park was a bit far but I seriously considered making the trip. The only thing that stopped me was the hope of a US tour in the near future. It's great seeing UK bands over here as the tickets are so much cheaper and the venues smaller due to lower popularity. Saw the Arctics a couple of years back with a crowd of around 500 and Kasabian earlier this year with maybe a few hundred more. Tickets for both were around £15...!!! I might have to pay a bank breaking £50 for front-row seats if the Roses come to town ;)

The pick guard was put together in photoshop, and the image was printed via snappy snaps, I ordered a clear perspex 4005 pick guard at pasted the two together. I was so close to doing the waterfall image on the bass body but went the easy road.

Heaton Park was....Awesome! Mani & Reni were nothing short of incredible, squire was sublime, and brown a kareoke classic, only joking he was really great. We managed to get pretty close after primal scream and stayed there as long as my bladder could hold out.

Edited by watton_earth