Why become a member? ×

Adonised pick gaurd for Fender P bass question

krispn

Hey I've got a '08 P bass and want to put a new pg on it for an upcoming gig giving it that retro look. The new gold ano p/g arrived this morning just before I set out for work and I was wondering do I need to ground it or shield it? Wanna get this answered before I put it on and discover loads of noise etc.

Thanks in advance for your collective input - I'd normally google but our firewall is quite restrictive at work but it does let me get on BC!

[quote name='krispn' post='1090524' date='Jan 15 2011, 03:30 PM']Hey I've got a '08 P bass and want to put a new pg on it for an upcoming gig giving it that retro look. The new gold ano p/g arrived this morning just before I set out for work and I was wondering do I need to ground it or shield it? Wanna get this answered before I put it on and discover loads of noise etc.

Thanks in advance for your collective input - I'd normally google but our firewall is quite restrictive at work but it does let me get on BC![/quote]
Shouldn't need to - the pots & jack socket will be mechanically earthed to the pick guard - so as long as they're earthed with their black wires, you won't have a problem.
Cheerz, John

I am not sure thats correct, anodised aluminium does not conduct electricity see below from wiki

Conductor materialsOf the metals commonly used for conductors, copper has a high conductivity. Silver is more conductive, but due to cost it is not practical in most cases. However, it is used in specialized equipment, such as satellites, and as a thin plating to mitigate skin effect losses at high frequencies. Because of its ease of connection by soldering or clamping, copper is still the most common choice for most light-gauge wires.

Main article: Aluminum wire
Aluminium has been used as a conductor in housing applications for cost reasons. It is actually more conductive than copper when compared by unit weight, but it has technical problems that have led to problems when used for household and similar wiring, sometimes having led to structural fires:

a tendency to form an electrically resistive surface oxide within connections, leading to heat cycling of the connection (unless protected by a well-maintained protective paste);
a tendency to "creep" under thermal cycling, causing connections to get looser due to a low mechanical yield point of the aluminium; and
a coefficient of thermal expansion sufficiently different from the materials used for connections, accelerating the creep problem and addressed by using only plugs, switches, and splices rated specifically for aluminium.
These problems do not affect other uses, and aluminium is commonly used for the low voltage "drop" between a power pole and the household meter. It is also the most common metal used in high-voltage transmission lines, in combination with steel as structural reinforcement.

[color="#FF0000"]The surface of anodized aluminium does not conduct electricity, and sometimes this must be considered when aluminium enclosures are to be electrically bonded for safety or to enclose or exclude electromagnetic radiation.[/color]

I had a real problem making a raven labs preamp work which has to be earthed until I put copper screening foil on the back of the pickguard