Why become a member? ×

Sandberg JM5 like a 'Ray'?

GreeneKing

I'm loving the tone from my new Sandberg JM5. I'm playing it mainly with the MM pup set to single coil and the pup's balanced equally. EQ is flat or maybe a bit of bass added. The warmth of the tone is very pleasing although I've yet to try it with the band.

I'm switching to humbucker on the MM pup and blending 1000% to the bridge pup and not having owned or played a Stingray I'm wondering how close it is to one? It sounds pretty growly and 'in yer face' but I'm not sure it's what I would go for 90% of the time.

Any Sandbergians out there can offer a comment on this?

Peter

I have a PM4 and a 'Ray. The MM p/up is not like a Ray p/up at all tonewise, it's more like a J p/up on steroids to use a cliche. This is pretty much down to the p/up position. A Ray's p/up is more towards the neck by an extra 40mm. On top of that you've got the MM pre amp which is voiced in their way Vs the Sandberg which I find to be far more transparent.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1090163' date='Jan 15 2011, 09:46 AM']I have a PM4 and a 'Ray. The MM p/up is not like a Ray p/up at all tonewise, it's more like a J p/up on steroids to use a cliche. This is pretty much down to the p/up position. A Ray's p/up is more towards the neck by an extra 40mm. On top of that you've got the MM pre amp which is voiced in their way Vs the Sandberg which I find to be far more transparent.[/quote]

+1 to all of that. The Sandberg sounds great, but is different to the classic Stingray tone.

i know mine's a 4, but the jury's still out for me with my JM. Not sure what you have GreeneKing, but the Delano pick ups and Sandberg pre-amp all sounds a little too modern for my ears. You can definitely get some good tones out of the bass, it just doesn't feel too soulful -

+1 to other posts. I've owned a Stingray before and the MM pick up sounds are very different

I'd say that my JM5 in Jazz 'mode' has more warmth and 'soul' than any Jazz i've played and that's a few. It does have Delano's and the Sandberg pre that I think is a GlockenKlang. Soul is what I would call it's tone. My other half would agree, she loves the tone.

My other basses are much more modern and hi fi. Not a bad thing, just different.

+ 1 re most of what's been said already.
I have a 79 ray, an early p and a g&l asat and I bought the sandberg jm4 to complete my leo fender focussed tonal palat. To my ears the jm4 does a great modern update of a jazz on steroids as well as a pretty good cop of classic j tones if you run it passive which I do most of time. I can imagine that it could sound a bit sterile thru a tranny amp. I run mine thru an old Bassman valve amp which warms it up lovely. Jm4 is a very versatile bass. It can cop a tone that is in MM territory but definitely not an MM.
Great modern bass IMO and so well crafted. It is probably the nicest bass to play that i own although the G&L runs it very close.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1091117' date='Jan 16 2011, 09:36 AM']Bassnut I was thinking the same thing re the amp situ - I also have a Bassman amp and I haven't played the JM through it yet, I'm sure that will make all the difference[/quote]

I reckon you will have a big smile on your face roughly 1 second after you place your first note on the Sandie thru the Bassman.

Ps. Can't believe that Bassman head in the amps for sale section hasn't sold already.

Played a jm4 yesterday! Wow! Now I have GAS again!
Great playability and good sounds !
I looked for the mm sound off of the bridge p/up, it is in that kind of territory I guess, but a long way off. But it didnt need to sound like a ray, sounded great as it was!
Nice neck too!
I got bad GAS for a solid colour jm4

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='1091167' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:45 AM']Played a jm4 yesterday! Wow! Now I have GAS again!
Great playability and good sounds !
I looked for the mm sound off of the bridge p/up, it is in that kind of territory I guess, but a long way off. But it didnt need to sound like a ray, sounded great as it was!
Nice neck too!
I got bad GAS for a solid colour jm4

Tony[/quote]

I know the feeling - I tried mine just cos i was in a shop and GAS was so bad I had to give in in the end.
got mine with one of those Arts Council interest free loans - gave up smoking and used money to pay £100pm off on ACE loan
went for a solid colour too
win, win
good luck if you need a cure for the GAS; but you may have to accept your situation and enjoy!

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='1091265' date='Jan 16 2011, 12:28 PM']I know the feeling - I tried mine just cos i was in a shop and GAS was so bad I had to give in in the end.
got mine with one of those Arts Council interest free loans - gave up smoking and used money to pay £100pm off on ACE loan
went for a solid colour too
win, win
good luck if you need a cure for the GAS; but you may have to accept your situation and enjoy![/quote]

And you quit the evil habit, result!

Yup, used the inspiration of buying a Sandberg California as motivation and reward for giving up that stinking weed.
It worked but now I have to give up GAS Adiction.
Anyone know how?

Ps. Seem to have unintentionally hyjacked thread. Sorry. Can create new one if required.

Edited by Bassnut62