Why become a member? ×

Combo IEM/Wireless Headset Mic setup Question..

markstuk

• 7 months later...

Yeah I do backing vocals and I'm always wandering too far from the mic ........ and then realise that I have to get there quick.

I'd like a set up like The Edge uses. I dunno what it is, but he has a microphone and obviously has in ear monitors.

I don't mind using separates, but I'd like them to be discreet ..... and I don't wanna wear a hat like the edge.

If you are gonna get separates - what would you use?

I'm using a sennheiser radio headset mic and a T-Bone IEM100 setup at the moment...

[quote name='mercuryl' post='1342048' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:13 PM']Yeah I do backing vocals and I'm always wandering too far from the mic ........ and then realise that I have to get there quick.

I'd like a set up like The Edge uses. I dunno what it is, but he has a microphone and obviously has in ear monitors.

I don't mind using separates, but I'd like them to be discreet ..... and I don't wanna wear a hat like the edge.

If you are gonna get separates - what would you use?[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1342058' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:21 PM']I'm using a sennheiser radio headset mic and a T-Bone IEM100 setup at the moment...[/quote]

I use the LD 100 MEI (bought from Thomann) but the actual headphones are a bit poor. The rest of that bit of kit is good though. I use a Samson headphone amp with it.

I'm going to investigate proper custom moulded in ear bits for it.

Strangely I've found the headphones a little disappointing as well... Although in a different way to you, since I don't like being sealed off from the rest of the world and use open backed AKG headphones at rehearsals - which although they look ridiculous, actually work very well...

I`ve used the stereo ambients in the audience and some guys like it a lot as applause is what turns them on, but drummers seem to like that open kit sound.
Also, that ambient sound can muddy your mix as the FOH turns up/adds more bottom end,and it ends up being hard work keeping your mix clean.
A 609 high over the kit looking at the snare sounds excellent, I suppose something at the back of the stage with an omni-directional response should get you that onstage vibe back.

As for the twin setup, yes it`s crap. I had to stage manage/mic tech recently and had in ears on an LD system to get instructions from FOH and also had a headset mic so they could get confirms from me etc. ball ache with two packs, two cables and stuff all over my head.

For what it`s worth, I don`t like headset mics on performers.
My reasons are,
1/ you need a completely different technique when you can`t move away from the mic,ie you can`t move away from the mic to even out your dynamics.
2/Because you cant move away from the mic, you get breathing, coughing,sniffing,mumbling,laughing,gurgling, cursing the drummer/what song is it type stuff.
Also gets in the way of a pint pot..
3/you have to spend a bit to get a decent sounding headset mic, or they sound a bit coarse and thin.A 58 will cost £50 and last longer than you.
4/ You will look like Madonna.Not good.
5/You will need batteries.
6/A good one this, a lighting engineer I work with insists that if you can`t see it on stage, then you can`t hear it. Obviously this is cock, but what he means is,like an unlit solo going un-noticed, backing vocals won`t be noticed/appreciated as much by the punters, if they can`t see you singing into a mic! (discuss..)

If the only reason to wear one is to avoid missing your cue because you wandered too far away from the mic,that doesn`t,in my opinion justify the arse of wearing a headset.
Just move quicker, fatties!
:)
MM

Edited by Monckyman