Why become a member? ×

P bass wiring harness.

paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='1085865' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:21 PM']I need to replace the gubbins in a cheapo P copy and because I have awful soldering skills I thought I would go for a wiring harness.
I have found one on ebay but wondered if anyone has any recommendations?[/quote]

I guess they'll all be pretty similar in quality - the wiring will be done to an acceptable standard, the pots will be reasonable but not super high quality, but in a 'cheapo P copy' it'll not be a huge issue.

Soldering skills are always worth practicing - you can save yourself a small fortune in leads and tech bills... :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='1119767' date='Feb 8 2011, 08:53 AM']Any chance the person making these harnesses would like to make themselves known to the whole forum? I fancy one for my Sue Ryder Bass[/quote]

You called?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1119793' date='Feb 8 2011, 09:24 AM']What do you hope to gain by replacing the harness? :)[/quote]

Just fancy upgrading the electronics before i try and stick on a Mighty Mite neck seeing as thats all i can afford atm. I bought the Ryder to Mod and its exactly what al be doing, to be honest, if it never came in sonic blue i wouldnt have bought one. (silly, i know)

I plan on somehow getting another and putting in two jazz pups and having a set of stacked knobs again with a Mighty Mite neck.

I think i'm modding just for the sake of it...

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='1120046' date='Feb 8 2011, 01:17 PM']Just fancy upgrading the electronics before i try and stick on a Mighty Mite neck seeing as thats all i can afford atm. I bought the Ryder to Mod and its exactly what al be doing, to be honest, if it never came in sonic blue i wouldnt have bought one. (silly, i know)

I plan on somehow getting another and putting in two jazz pups and having a set of stacked knobs again with a Mighty Mite neck.

I think i'm modding just for the sake of it...[/quote]
Seems a good bass to mod with,new,cheap and wirings a breeze,im doing my cheapo Marlin P bass that the wife erm"surprised" me with at xmas,i had a set Duncan Designed pups lying around,2 months later it now looks like a tarts handbag with gold hardware everywhere and a fetching set of DR luminous green strings and new headstock logo reading"Fecker jizz bass",,ironically all this has made it less embarrassing to play :)

[quote name='paul h' post='1120137' date='Feb 8 2011, 02:38 PM']I'm a total convert. After fitting one of KiOgon's harnesses in my Jim Deacon I think it's mod right up there with changing pickups. In fact I am thinking of going for a jazz style one for my Retrovibe.[/quote]
If your chuffed with it m8 it is"the real world",thats what any customising,in any area,bike,car,guitar etc is about....creating something YOU want/like....In an ideal world we would all own all the top gear that cost a bomb,except im Scottish,a race by nature thats tighter than a ducks arse and despite bass being one of my loves,the only way i would spend 2 grand plus on any guitar is if it was special.....special as in does 185mph like my bike,gave mind blowing oral and took me to the pub etc......way off topic but basically saying others might think your/mine/his ideas are a bit "unreal",but as long as yer happy bollox to anyone else :) ,let them live in THEIR real world.end of sermon...

And breathe.....

:)

I agree totally! In fact, I am not sure I would ever shell out for anything too expensive. I have always been a fan of buying cheap and modding. In a lot of cheap basses the electronics are a real weak point and in my recent experience upgrading them does make a noticeable difference.

[quote name='dougie' post='1120309' date='Feb 8 2011, 05:24 PM']If your chuffed with it m8 it is"the real world",thats what any customising,in any area,bike,car,guitar etc is about....creating something YOU want/like....In an ideal world we would all own all the top gear that cost a bomb,except im Scottish,a race by nature thats tighter than a ducks arse and despite bass being one of my loves,the only way i would spend 2 grand plus on any guitar is if it was special.....special as in does 185mph like my bike,gave mind blowing oral and took me to the pub etc......way off topic but basically saying others might think your/mine/his ideas are a bit "unreal",but as long as yer happy bollox to anyone else :) ,let them live in THEIR real world.end of sermon...[/quote]
Would changing the ignition barrel on your bike be a life altering experience? Would it increase performance, save energy, look nicer or make your ride any better? In MY world it wouldn't.

That's not to say that someone who didn't fully understand the workings of an ignition barrel wouldn't feel a benefit from simply changing one, just because someone else told them that there would be a benefit.

In MY world replacing parts which already function and have no impact on performance, comfort or aesthetics with equally functional parts only more expensive is not an upgrade.

I'd rather save my dosh and put it toward remapping the ECU or something that actually mattered.

[quote name='paul h' post='1120456' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:09 PM']I just typed a long reply but deleted it.

I'm not going to bite because I know you're just trying to wind me up![/quote]
I assure you Paul I have no such intention. I don't even have a clue why you'd think I have any cause to either?
You may PM me if you like - to keep this thread clear.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1120438' date='Feb 8 2011, 06:54 PM']Would changing the ignition barrel on your bike be a life altering experience? Would it increase performance, save energy, look nicer or make your ride any better? In MY world it wouldn't.

That's not to say that someone who didn't fully understand the workings of an ignition barrel wouldn't feel a benefit from simply changing one, just because someone else told them that there would be a benefit.

In MY world replacing parts which already function and have no impact on performance, comfort or aesthetics with equally functional parts only more expensive is not an upgrade.

I'd rather save my dosh and put it toward remapping the ECU or something that actually mattered.[/quote]
Good point,id agree that changing a barrel wouldnt be beneficial merely for the sake of it,but Hanson writes"I'm a total convert. After fitting one of KiOgon's harnesses in my Jim Deacon I think it's mod right up there with changing pickups. In fact I am thinking of going for a jazz style one for my Retrovibe. "......that tells me HE found it beneficial in which case i wouldnt try altering his opinion,plus the guys modding a £60 bass and since changing the cheap harness wouldnt cost much i probably would too whilst it was stripped to the guts,end of the day m8 as i said customising be it even from a headstock sticker to the full hardware change is individual......each to their own.

Edited by dougie

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1120486' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:43 PM']I assure you Paul I have no such intention. I don't even have a clue why you'd think I have any cause to either?
You may PM me if you like - to keep this thread clear.[/quote]

Nope. Still not going to bite.

Good try though.

[quote name='dougie' post='1120510' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:57 PM']Good point,id agree that changing a barrel wouldnt be beneficial merely for the sake of it,but Hanson writes"I'm a total convert. After fitting one of KiOgon's harnesses in my Jim Deacon I think it's mod right up there with changing pickups. In fact I am thinking of going for a jazz style one for my Retrovibe. "......that tells me HE found it beneficial in which case i wouldnt try altering his opinion,plus the guys modding a £60 bass and since changing the cheap harness wouldnt cost much i probably would too whilst it was stripped to the guts,end of the day m8 as i said customising be it even from a headstock sticker to the full hardware change is individual......each to their own.[/quote]
I'm trying to cope with a bereavement here so would rather not be involved in this right now but seeing as I won't get any sleep tonight....

We seem to have got off on the wrong foot here. Would you like to point out where I've tried to change anyone's opinion please? You have clearly misunderstood my intentions... which I suppose could account for your "bollox" to me comment.

My purpose for posting in the thread is merely to offer some balance to wary modders that may be passing through who could be mislead by opinion outweighing fact. I don't think I need the ethos of customising explained to me but thanks for your take on it. You say that the mod doesn't matter as long as the modder is happy. Ok but I personally believe that a mod has more merit if it actually changes something... and not in some placebo effect way.

A point I'd like to make is that the word "upgrade" was used when describing swapping out the loom. Upgrade implies improvement. Well if someone can hear the difference between one piece of wire or pot to another then I guess that it's an upgrade. Sadly I can't make such a claim as I only have human ears.
A loom swap may include a different value capacitor - changing this single component (which retails for a few pence and takes about 30 seconds to desolder the old one and put the new one in) will account for a slight change in tonal characteristics but it would be a mighty big step to suggest that the aural difference would be akin to changing the pickups (unless of course you were changing the pickups for pretty much identical ones..... or overstating a product on someone's behalf) and so would be pointless swapping out the whole loom for.

I am not going to comment on specific harness as they are not the subject of this thread. I do think that ready made looms are fantastic for saving 10 minutes (maybe 5 minutes in the case of a P bass :)) knocking up your own one when doing a project from scratch. But if modding is your thing then why not actually do it yourself... and the P circuit is probably the best place to start.

After all where's the satisfaction in bolting on off the shelf gear into your bass and calling it your own mod?

Edited by Ou7shined