Why become a member? ×

Think I've knackered one of my basses :o/

far0n

I had a gig after a 12 hour shift the other night, so rather than pack my car with gear at 5:30am I did it the night before and left the gear in the car overnight. Went to the gig and the action on my Cort Funkmachine was flat against the neck. Now bearing in mind I've never altered the truss rod on that bass in about 5 years 'cos it's rock steady... so I'm kinda panicking a bit here. I'm assuming the cold has maybe warped the neck? I've had a look at it, it doesn't seem twisted at all, it's just weird that it's pulled all the strings so far back. Once it had warmed up it didn't move back again, so it's like a permanent neck movement. Obviously if the truss rod had snapped it would have bowed forward instead of backwards, so I'm a tad confused. All help and advice greatly appreciated !

Faron

Yep I'd just get it to a luthier nice and quick to get a prognosis!

The rule of thumb I work by is 'always keep your basses in an enviroment you'd be happy to stay in'.
I'd leave my amps/cabs in my car overnight if I had too, but never my basses!

Good luck buddy
Si

[quote name='far0n' post='1083565' date='Jan 9 2011, 08:40 PM']I had a gig after a 12 hour shift the other night, so rather than pack my car with gear at 5:30am I did it the night before and left the gear in the car overnight. Went to the gig and the action on my Cort Funkmachine was flat against the neck. Now bearing in mind I've never altered the truss rod on that bass in about 5 years 'cos it's rock steady... so I'm kinda panicking a bit here. I'm assuming the cold has maybe warped the neck? I've had a look at it, it doesn't seem twisted at all, it's just weird that it's pulled all the strings so far back. Once it had warmed up it didn't move back again, so it's like a permanent neck movement. Obviously if the truss rod had snapped it would have bowed forward instead of backwards, so I'm a tad confused. All help and advice greatly appreciated !

Faron[/quote]

If the strings are now flat with the neck you can be pretty damn certain that you haven't got a broken truss rod - so that's good news :)
I'd be inclined to get it back indoors, let it settle down for a day and then slacken the truss rod.

Probably a daft question, but the strings haven't somehow fallen off of the little roller type guides on the bridge have they?

[quote name='icastle' post='1083619' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:18 PM']If the strings are now flat with the neck you can be pretty damn certain that you haven't got a broken truss rod - so that's good news :)
I'd be inclined to get it back indoors, let it settle down for a day and then slacken the truss rod.

Probably a daft question, but the strings haven't somehow fallen off of the little roller type guides on the bridge have they?[/quote]

Nah, everything's still in place. I've restrung it just incase, needed doing anyway.

Edited by far0n

yeah i made the mistake of leaving a bass at my practice studio without even getting it out for about three weeks, needless to say it got cold. It back bowed the neck and I went to work on it straight away which wasn't a good idea. I would do what everyone else has said leave it at room temperature for a couple of days let it settle then adjust it to your needs again. Mine's all better now lol.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1084281' date='Jan 10 2011, 02:46 PM']I would do what everyone else has said leave it at room temperature for a couple of days let it settle then adjust it to your needs again. Mine's all better now lol.[/quote]

+1, if basses are anything like pianos then it's secondary humidity changes rather than temperature itself that causes the biggest amount of movement. That takes longer to re-equilibrate than just getting up to temperature. Be patient :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1086255' date='Jan 11 2011, 11:45 PM']Does it have a phenolic fingerboard?
I have an acquainance with a Cort Curbow fretless that is incredibly sensitive to humidity changes. He puts it down to the synthetic board (and he is a luthier!)[/quote]

Used to have one myself, the neck used to go all over the place. I just put it down to if having something like a one piece neck. :)