Why become a member? ×

Can a Stingray growl like a Jazz?

bubinga5

Yes I suppose fretless wouldn't bother me if it were ceramic or alnico as it's a whole new sound anyway. What I wanted and other than a classic5 have is a SR4 with an extra string, I can't really find any love for the other pup settings at the moment. I do love my modded jazz though but it's different sound altogether I cant agree with this idea of tones only being in our own heads.

[quote name='herman' post='1082535' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:21 PM']ive never tried a jazz bass, had my stingray for a week now and i love it! covers all the styles that i play and its
very user friendly! i will never part with it![/quote]

That's a very nice Ray you dropped on though Herman and I think the little bit more it cost you now will turn out to be a wise move long term.

Andrew, the sound of the Sade's Paul S. Denman video linked is the typical of a black epoxy preamp '79 pre-Ernie Ball.
I had one until a couple of months ago and it nails the tone. Having got about 25 Stingray in the last 20 years from all ages, not any one sounds like those '79 with that black epoxy preamp. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1081781' date='Jan 8 2011, 07:42 AM']I'll have to disagree. I've owned both and they share very little in common apart from a basic similarity in the body shape.[/quote]

+1.

Also, to me a J and a MM sound very different, especially when I'm playing them.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1081862' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:28 AM']They do growl but it's not with the nasal authority of a jazz bass, it's more of a subtle thing, with less obvious upper midrange "honk".[/quote]

Ah, you see to me growl is more of a lower mids thing.

The last thing I ever do with most basses is solo the bridge pickup! :)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='JTUK' post='1082196' date='Jan 8 2011, 03:19 PM']yes.........way too much, plus too many guys use the pre full on.

Not a very subtle pre amp IMV...and East can be the same, but who runs them flat out, FFS..!![/quote]

I read a quote once from a pretty well know guitarist, Tom Erak.

"For how expensive all this gear is it has to sound good with everything at 10!"

He plays 2 Orange full stacks :)

I use eden, which has a pretty sensitive preamp (i dare move them up 3 or so db or itd explode ha!) same with the Rays pre. A little does alot!

Its all about EQ anyway! A jazz has its own basic curve, so does the stingray. They are good at getting that tone people buy them for, if you want a jazz sound, get a jazz. If you want a Stingray sound.....get a Stingray. If it really has too be in ONE bass get a Sterling HS, im not sure what the electronics are like but youll find a nice jazz tone i bet you. It doesnt do half bad as a Ray either.

[quote name='4000' post='1082806' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:11 AM']Ah, you see to me growl is more of a lower mids thing.

The last thing I ever do with most basses is solo the bridge pickup! :)[/quote]

I look at it in different ways, as you can have that low mid growl like a Warwick Thumb has or a more nasally sound like a jazz bass. I remember when the whole bass world seemed hung up on growl and endless hours were spent discussing it!