Why become a member? ×

Squier Does it Again!

Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='eude' post='1086432' date='Jan 12 2011, 09:37 AM']The Mustang had it's own baby Precision style pickup, the Musicmaster, I ain't sure as it was under a plastic case hiding the pole pieces, but I'm pretty sure the cheapy Squier Bronco ships with a strat pickup, which is usually the first thing to go when folks start modding.

Eude[/quote]

Correct. The Musicmaster reused guitar pickups that Fender had lying around, the plastic cover is used to hide this fact. Here is a pic of someone in the process of swapping out the original 6 pole guitar pickup for a 4 pole bass pickup:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1080558' date='Jan 6 2011, 11:04 PM']If people are telling you not to buy a Squier because of the name on the headstock they need to think again.

Several of the Squiers are extremely good value for money and play fine straight out of the box - in particular the Classic Vibe series. Although that's not to say that they can't be improved with pickup/tuner/electronics upgrades.

Get down to your local store and try one.[/quote]

I agree. I was recently in Dawson's in Reading and had a whole range of Fender Squiers Epi's and Gibsons lined up. Th Squire '62 re-issue classic vibe outclassed many of the way more expensive basses. I'm lucky enough to own a re-fin Fender '62 P Bass, so I know of what I speak, and believe me the Squire was spot on. I would have taken her there and then, if only it did not feel like buying an identical bass to the one I already own. And believe me, I was always prejudiced against buying a Squire without ever having tried one.. Trans Crimson Red with P&J pups for £200ish ... Ooh, Suits you, Sir!