Why become a member? ×

New Ampeg Portaflex s

Jambo

ooooh....i have nearly fell of my chair.....Ampegs facebook page is showing details of a new portaflex range, including a mass market B15R (although these dont appear to be valve models...

- specs comin soon...but it looks like they are launching these at NAMM next week....

and here is theman who started it all...

I await falling off my chair again once we have heard the price details!

Initial reactions?

Edited by Jambo

[quote name='headofire' post='1079400' date='Jan 6 2011, 02:03 AM']dont get your hope up lads.... ampeg died about 2 years ago... new ones just break and dont sound like ampegs. its a sad sad affair.[/quote]
Don't know about new models, but there's no difference between US-made and asian made heads. The asian cabs are big improvement over the us cabs from 2001-2005 which were made of mdf instead of ply.

hey, i'm from mexico, and i'm afraid i'll be a lot hard to find one of these new portaflex amps, despide there is an ampeg dealer.
i don't know if that is a recent Jess Oliver picture, but the portaflex on the left looks just like the new ones with that purple light under the Ampeg plate name.
but what's really making my day is the portaflex on the right... the plexiglass lit-up Ampeg script logo says underneath "Heritage"... so this means there will be an all-tube Heritage Portaflex announced in this year's NAMM Show??? if so, i'm selling some gear to get one!

[quote name='phatbass787' post='1080535' date='Jan 6 2011, 04:37 PM']Hmm, dont really see the point of a solid state fliptop? Seem to have missed the point I think[/quote]

i guess it's just because some people can't afford a tube amp.
so there is a solid state option for these people.
the heritage all-tube portaflex amps will cost a fortune.
sad but true.

[quote name='headofire' post='1080699' date='Jan 6 2011, 08:40 PM']the heritage ones are proper, mormon built american muthalovers. but you'll need to sell your wife, car and house to buy a hundred watt combo. you also will have a three month waiting list. Why did mackie have to ruin ampeg????[/quote]

hahaa. not quite. i guess it'll cost around 3-5 thousand dollars each.
the waiting list... that might be the problem.

Guest jbarks

Hold it—this is one of their profile pictures, and it doesn't say Heritage:

:)

Edit: Scratch that... these show up on the Heritage page without a logo. Sigh. One can wish though...

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=448041712271&set=a.448040952271.243300.336838292271"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=448...00.336838292271[/url]

Edited by jbarks

[quote name='headofire' post='1080699' date='Jan 7 2011, 02:40 AM']the heritage ones are proper, mormon built american muthalovers. but you'll need to sell your wife, car and house to buy a hundred watt combo. you also will have a three month waiting list. Why did mackie have to ruin ampeg????[/quote]

Hang on, Mackie own Ampeg? I thought Mackie were owned by one of those eastern companies everyone keeps giving out about. I'm confussededed??

Guest jbarks

[quote name='Mog' post='1082036' date='Jan 8 2011, 01:04 PM']Hang on, Mackie own Ampeg? I thought Mackie were owned by one of those eastern companies everyone keeps giving out about. I'm confussededed??[/quote]

[url="http://www.loudtechinc.com/"]http://www.loudtechinc.com/[/url]

Owns Mackie, Ampeg, etc etc

[quote name='headofire' post='1080698' date='Jan 7 2011, 03:38 AM']Im afraid thats not quite true. I've been using and selling ampeg for 14 years and the new ones are no comparison. Even Ampeg's rep agrees. the new VR is a very different and to the amp it claims to be. I sadly had to have my '74 SVT's transformer rewound recently and Peter hall (great repair man) in brighton had 3 new reissues sitting there when i picked mine up up. His exact words where 'the only thing thats the same is the box'.[/quote]

Well, the VR and real vintage SVT are quite different, that's right. It's common for reissues, quite sadly they are never as good as the originals.
But mine US-made 3pro has the same TAIWAN made transformer like it's asian brothers. Most of the parts did not change when they moved production to Asia.
They had QC issues, the asian made amps are not that pretty like older brothers, but Asian VR WILL sound just like US VR (with the same set of tubes of course).

And asian SVT-810E WILL sound punchier and clearer than US made from 2001-2005.

I think they are doing great job. Loud saved Ampeg, they are finally doing something, new amps, new cabs, they are trying to restart the US factory.
Now I'm waiting for a great comeback of V-4BH :)