Why become a member? ×

Help!?

Thepurepower

Obviously, quite easily... with a pick :)

Unfortunately this is a foreign item to me, and while i have tried my hand at it a few times recently - playing with a pick that is - i just cannot get that irrate bee noise just after solo.

Using all four fingers has proven far too sloppy, slow and is exhausting after a while.
Tried a very limited no. of pics, the heavy ones just make me feel like im trying to cut through my strings, while the .50 ive tried does the job, i still cannot get close enough.

Ideally, id like to swap back to fingerstyle after these parts, as far more confident + less likely to make a fool of myself!

Any advice Re pick gauge, technique ect will be more than welcome!

Thanks,
TTP

1: It's all in the wrist [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyuDyWc09G8"](have a look at Mr Kilminster's approach)[/url]
2: Jim Dunlop 1mm Black Nylon for me - good balance between flex & stiffness.
3: Low-ish action, & boost the upper mids & treble
4: Spank it. Spank it hard.

No way would I attempt that fingerstyle - kudos to you for even trying!

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='Thepurepower' post='1077675' date='Jan 4 2011, 06:57 PM']RE spankin it hard - I've just cracked the .50 in three places, only noticed when it felt a bit odd![/quote]
Maybe not spank it quite that hard then. You [i]might[/i] be setting yourself up for an injury if you're actually breaking picks. Go up a weight or three & back off a bit.

In the 25-odd years I've been using nylon Dunlops, I've yet to break one. They usually get worn out or lost.

Pete.

[quote name='Thepurepower' post='1077564' date='Jan 4 2011, 05:29 PM']Obviously, quite easily... with a pick :)

Unfortunately this is a foreign item to me, and while i have tried my hand at it a few times recently - playing with a pick that is - i just cannot get that irrate bee noise just after solo.

Using all four fingers has proven far too sloppy, slow and is exhausting after a while.
Tried a very limited no. of pics, the heavy ones just make me feel like im trying to cut through my strings, while the .50 ive tried does the job, i still cannot get close enough.

Ideally, id like to swap back to fingerstyle after these parts, as far more confident + less likely to make a fool of myself!

Any advice Re pick gauge, technique ect will be more than welcome!

Thanks,
TTP[/quote]
Dunlop Puple or is it Mauve 1.5....You can do it....you just dont wanna admit it :)

Cheapo flimsy thing, I didn't expect it to last as long as it did tbh
But your right,.
*grumbles quietly about having to use picks in the first place*

Its a bass guitar, 4 big fat strings. Used for backing. If I wasn't such a nice person (or didn't have as much pride!) I'd tell em to bugger off n play something that involves playing my instrument how its designed to be used. But then I wouldn't get a cool solo bit :)

Rant over. I feel better now. Nylon jim dunlops, 1mm.. Plenty of practice, and stop myself moaning.

Thanks basschat, in particular Bloodaxe. Ill let you know how it goes.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1077715' date='Jan 4 2011, 07:23 PM']In the 25-odd years I've been using nylon Dunlops, I've yet to break one. They usually get worn out or lost.[/quote]

Another +1 for these picks.

They do it for me with about a third of our set containing picked rock / pop / punk stuff I'm very comfortable rocking out hard. As mentioned before get the wrist action right as well. Find some good pick excercises and do them as well, don't just blast through songs.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1078058' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:55 PM']If you don't get on with the little ones, try those big triangles out!

Practice makes perfect.[/quote]
As I recall, the Tortex picks are stiffer than the nylons by quite a lot. A 1mm Tort is probably edging towards a 1.3 - 1.5mm nylon. I never got on with them, but YMMV.

I've just had a quick listen to the track and it sounds to me like the 'irrate bee noise just after the solo' is really just playing
quavers with distortion. If you prefer to play fingerstyle,the only reason I can see to not use your fingers for it would be for
the tone. If the tempo is the problem you just need to slowly work your fingers up to speed.

If you insist on using a pick,I always recommend something pretty heavy. I usually go for Dunlop 1.14mm or 1.5mm or
Ibanez Steve Vai model.