Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bass Synths.. replace the Moog with an Ipad?

JMT3781

Just before christmas i decided to buy an ipad, primarily so i can carry all my lead sheets, lyrics and sheet music in digital format.. and it has worked amazingly for that. However on christmas day i was presented with a voucher for the AppStore....

So on the appstore, i'm searching through all the music apps, when i come across a virtual Korg MS-20 synth.. which intrigued me as i used to have the korg legacy collection on the Mac, and it was great fun.. So for a tenner i took the plunge..

Its a complete replication on the old analogue synth, including a drum machine... plenty of amazing patches, and some wicked bass sounds.. I then discovered that its midi compatible, so i put together a little case with a DI box and a little controller i had around. The result has been an amazing synth and drum machine.. which sounds analogue, and is very easy to navigate around and recall presets and drum patterns.. and it has two kaoss pads built in!!

However, this does leave me in a bit of a detritus, as its complete filling the purpose i had my Moog little phatty for. The korg software is easy to use, thanks to the touch screen of the Ipad, instead of he 10cm2 tiny lcd of the moog. Also, the ipad is tiny compared to the moog, and nowhere near as heavy. and then when im finished making wierd noises, i can surf the internet or read a book! crazy..

So, do i sell the moog, and use the money to either go skiing or buy cpbassmans shuker in the for sale section, or keep the moog incase the ipad stops working or gets slow or something? The thing is, in most sets i play there are 2/3 synth bass tracks, is it really worth carrying the big moog for that? Or will the loss of the moog be a blow to the ego i'll never recover from? (it is an item that gives me an instant cool factor infront of many young audiences) gah! decisions

Any thoughts? there are some youtube demos of what the software is capable of...

heres a photo of the ipad setup

Don't do anything with the Moog until you've compared the output sound through some serious bass speakers, I'd be really surprised if the Korg emulation comes close in terms of real bottom end response.

No doubting the Korg's capabilities, I have it on my iPad and it's a cracking little unit, but I've yet to find an emulation of anything that holds a candle to the original in audio terms.

[quote name='WinterMute' post='1075782' date='Jan 2 2011, 09:41 PM']Don't do anything with the Moog until you've compared the output sound through some serious bass speakers, I'd be really surprised if the Korg emulation comes close in terms of real bottom end response.

No doubting the Korg's capabilities, I have it on my iPad and it's a cracking little unit, but I've yet to find an emulation of anything that holds a candle to the original in audio terms.[/quote]
yeah, ive run it through my 1000w bass rig, and it sounded great, not lacking at all. I'm not really desperate for the money.. but as someone with far too many basses that dont get played, it would be silly to start the same trick with keyboards lol..

i dont know, gonna have to AB at some point

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1075981' date='Jan 3 2011, 01:38 AM']yeah, ive run it through my 1000w bass rig, and it sounded great, not lacking at all. I'm not really desperate for the money.. but as someone with far too many basses that dont get played, it would be silly to start the same trick with keyboards lol..

i dont know, gonna have to AB at some point[/quote]

A/B is the way to go, most emulators sound pretty good, but none sound as good as the original IMO.

If it works for what you're doing, ditch the Moog.