Why become a member? ×

cant get cubase to work

keeptrying

hello all,
im having trouble getting cubase le4 to work on my laptop, a dell inspiron 1525
running windows vista.
when i connect the mixer, an alesis multimix 16 to the laptop it knows its there
and seems to start up fine but wont register any input or record any sound :)
is this because my laptop is too slow to cope with all the data or am i just too stupid
to be allowed near modern technology? :lol:
if its the laptop, then any ideas as to what i need?
i want to use a laptop so we can record rehersals, make demo's and mabe even try to
record gigs.
any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

[quote name='keeptrying' post='1074818' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:06 PM']hello all,
im having trouble getting cubase le4 to work on my laptop, a dell inspiron 1525
running windows vista.
when i connect the mixer, an alesis multimix 16 to the laptop it knows its there
and seems to start up fine but wont register any input or record any sound :)
is this because my laptop is too slow to cope with all the data or am i just too stupid
to be allowed near modern technology? :lol:
if its the laptop, then any ideas as to what i need?
i want to use a laptop so we can record rehersals, make demo's and mabe even try to
record gigs.
any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)[/quote]

Have you enabled the VST inputs in cubase and the Alesis is the default sound card ?
Does audio from the laptop playback through the multimix ?
Is it a firewire or usb connection ?
If it's firewire, are you using the mini firewire connector on the laptop ?

Do yourself a favour and download Reaper - an uncrippled, unexpiring fully functional Demo [url="http://reaper.fm/download.php"]here[/url]

It should get on fine with your Alesis mixer and be a whole lot easier to get to grips with than Cubase...

if alesis give me another copy of cubase ill have another go at installing, my dell is also about 4 years old
thanks for all the tips and advice, the teccies ive spoken to all blamed my laptop,(probably because they wanted to sell me a new one)
i was hoping id get impartial and honest help from people who use this kit in the real world and you havent let me down
thank you, and saved me money too :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1074858' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:55 PM']Have you enabled the VST inputs in cubase and the Alesis is the default sound card ?
Does audio from the laptop playback through the multimix ?
Is it a firewire or usb connection ?
If it's firewire, are you using the mini firewire connector on the laptop ?[/quote]

+1, yeah, it could be todo with connections, we use Cubase 5 at school :)

Haha! Yes, i did something similar with my itunes back up disks! Lessons learnt!

[quote name='OldG' post='1075284' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:38 PM']Do yourself a favour and download Reaper - an uncrippled, unexpiring fully functional Demo [url="http://reaper.fm/download.php"]here[/url]

It should get on fine with your Alesis mixer and be a whole lot easier to get to grips with than Cubase...[/quote]

yes yes yes and triple yes more! I use Reaper and long since dumped Cubase for being annoying and a PITA to work *all * the time. Reaper? Faultless!

tried reaper out with just my bass into the mixer,all seems to work fine,
the track appears to record, but cant get any sound on playback.
ive set both record and speakers in the laptop to usb codec
any ideas what im doing wrong??
ive tried to get sound from the alesis and from speakers plugged into
the laptop. also if i try to play music already on the laptop with the mixer connected
theres no sound even from the laptops built in speakers.

If you end up using Cubase again check the Device Setup located in the Devices tab along the top. There you should be able to make sure the correct setup/device is being used. I.e. Its using the correct sound device for playback. Also check control panel - sound and audio devices again to make sure your laptop is actually using the right sound card also.

Cubase doesn't automatically swap devices depending on what you have plugged in. You have to do this manually.

Hope this helps.

Tx

EDIT: this may be the same for reaper but never used it.

Edited by BTS_Spacebass

[quote name='keeptrying' post='1076762' date='Jan 3 2011, 08:51 PM']tried reaper out with just my bass into the mixer,all seems to work fine,
the track appears to record, but cant get any sound on playback.
ive set both record and speakers in the laptop to usb codec
any ideas what im doing wrong??
ive tried to get sound from the alesis and from speakers plugged into
the laptop. also if i try to play music already on the laptop with the mixer connected
theres no sound even from the laptops built in speakers.[/quote]

Do the level meters on the multimix move when you play audio on the laptop ?
Do you get any sound at all eg. windows sounds or audio from a media player etc ?
Is the multimix set as the default device in the audio settings on the laptop ?

My audio interface has never had a driver update so playback in Reaper was just a constant, horrible tone. And no, it wasn't my playing. I installed a free program called ASIO4all and that fixed all my problems. Might be worth a try.

+1 for Reaper too, does everything Cubase does and is actually reasonably priced with loads of free updates.

hi all thanks for all your much appreciated help,
i think ive sussed the lack of sound problem,
when i deleted cubase i think it also deleted the alesis drivers
for running with vista DOH!! :) yep im officially a bloody stupid ****
so now its off to alesis to grovel and hope they at least let me have
the driver downloads. many lessons learned so at least im a bit wiser lol

[quote name='redstriper' post='1078020' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:32 PM']You should be able to download the drivers from the Alesis website.[/quote]
they only have the multimix 2 version for download mine is the earlier model.
i tried to download the it but for some reason it gets blocked, not shure if
its because its not compatible with my mixer or if its my laptop stopping the download
ive also tried to update my usb drivers and that was also stopped before it completed.
im thinking i may have some security setting that i dont know about or how to change
getting in the way of me having fun. its always possible the computer knows how i play
and is trying to protect the world from my musical ineptitude.